• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melton Kidd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock that was made in about 1979 that had and old dixie gun works lock that would not work properly. I replaced it with a Chambers and during the process I discovered that the ramrod hole had been cut through to the barrel channel with a router. I dont know why. Almost a quarter inch of wood was removed. Does anyone have any idea how to repair this cut out?

Sign Cutter

c

sign cutter,

That's easy. Cut a piece of similar wood to fit in the routed channel.
When it's dry, simply re-drill the ramrod hole. It will re-enforce this area considerably.

Hope that helps.

This is common in precarve stocks. It really doesn't hurt anything, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you just want to fill it, insert the rod and fit a piece of wood into the slot, leaving room for the rod. Just glue the fitted wood in place, after removing the rod. Don't wanna glue the rod in place, now do we? :nono:

I'm with JD on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are a lot of guns out there with stocks inletted the same way for the ramrod. The only thing that the forestock does on a long rifle is provide a place to hold the ramrod anyway. The barrel actually holds the wood up instead the other way around. As long as the forestock isn't broken I wouldn't mess with it.

Many Klatch

:blah: You are lucky it didnt run down and out, then a decorative patch is called for, like in many very old rifles. Bob

snake-eyes said:
J.D. said:
Don't wanna glue the rod in place, now do we?
J.D.
Sounds like experience talking... :wink:
snake-eyes:hmm:

Who, me? Not me. Certainly not me. I wouldn't do anything like that...not after the first time. :rotf:

Latest posts

Back