• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Inletting issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpberger61

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just received a beautifully figured maple stock and swamped barrel from a supplier. I asked to have the stock inlet for the barrel but not the tang. When it arrived I found that both the barrel and a 3” plain flaired tang had been inlet. I had planned on using a lollipop tang. The inlet is wider than my lollipop tang. Is there a work around for this or should I just change my plan and use the tang that the inlet is for?

That's a bummer. I'd call the vendor. Unless you can be truly satisfied with "making it work", you'll probably always wish that you had the lolipop tang. Take a deep breath and get what you wanted.
-Pat

You alone can decide what you want and what’s worth the hassle.
Not all SMR had lollipops, or even long.
Now myself, I would go with the flared short, but no use going to all the work of building a gun your not going to be happy with.

You can easily find photos of original guns with a flared tang, with a lollipop tang extension.
But again, if it’s not what you ordered, send it back.
Most suppliers include a flared tang with a swamped barrel.

I just received a beautifully figured maple stock and swamped barrel from a supplier. I asked to have the stock inlet for the barrel but not the tang. When it arrived I found that both the barrel and a 3” plain flaired tang had been inlet. I had planned on using a lollipop tang. The inlet is wider than my lollipop tang. Is there a work around for this or should I just change my plan and use the tang that the inlet is for?
I completed a kit build attempt for a friend, who had messed up the inletting for the tang; far off center and too wide (don't ask me how he did that) I covered up the problem by inletting the tang into his mess, then adding inlays artistically on both sides to fill and cover his mistakes. I used slightly contrasting wood so it came out looking like it was meant to be that way. If you don't get satisfaction by sending yours back, something like that is an option.

Latest posts

Back