• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Peep sight for Hawken Mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklyn2468

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just received a Traditions Hawken .50 Mountain rifle kit. I can’t clearly see the rear leaf sight on any rifle so a peep sight is my only choice. I’ve searched the threads on this and other sites and have come up with 3 choices: Lyman 57 SML,
Williams Hawken FS, and Dixie Gun Works EPO 711 Vernier Tang or similar Marble tang sight. Here’s the problem: the tang on the rifle is not long enough to mount any of the sights so I need to increase the tang length or install a mounting plate. I wanted some opinions on some of my mounting plans. I also found that both the Lyman and Williams sight were not in stock anywhere (except on EBay at 2-3x the price).
Is it a good idea to epoxy and wood screw a mounting plate into an inlet made in the stock directly behind the tang?
I’ve done this on another rifle and I know attaching a sight to wood is not a great solution but it seems to work.
Can an extension be welded to the tang, inlet the stock, and attach the sight to this elongated tang?
I don’t know what type of metal the tang is made of however, I assume it’s not just mild steel. Is the tang hardened or tempered as a rifle barrel?
I can do the necessary welding, tapping, machining etc for this project.

Last edited:
To Phil, thanks really opens up the options.
To 64Springer, as you probably know, in this kit the tang is separate from the barrel/breech plug. There is a male attachment on the breech plug that mechanically locks into the barrel tang. The barrel can be removed from the stock without removing the tang. I will definitely check out TOW. Thanks.
To Flint thanks I’m advance for the link, will check it out.

Check out the sights offered by Skinner Sights. Some can be mounted in the existing rear sight dovetail or others require drilling and tapping a few holes.

Or try this!
Hawken 4.jpg

Skinner Sights. Brass or blued steel. Interchangeable aperture sizes. Just drill one hole in flat part of tang. Screw up or down for elevation. Drift front sight for windage.

We'd like to help, but let's clear this up a bit, you say:
I just received a Traditions Hawken .50 Mountain rifle kit.
That kit doesn't exist, it's either a "Traditions St Louis Hawken" or a "Traditions Mountain Rifle" , there is a difference.

Then;
I can’t clearly see the rear leaf sight on any rifle so a peep sight is my only choice.
Ok, I'm olde too, I get that. But what is the trouble(?) And why is a peep the only answer?
I ask because many times moving the rear site forward on the barrel helps,,
,,(that's where the difference is,, a 28" or 32" barrel?)
Why does if have to be a "tang peep"?
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-CA-PEEP-14https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/877/1You can experiment with folded cardboard or plastic and tape before you modify the stock,,
,there are options,,
I'm just trying to think outside the box,,?

Last edited:
I just received a Traditions Hawken .50 Mountain rifle kit. I can’t clearly see the rear leaf sight on any rifle so a peep sight is my only choice. I’ve searched the threads on this and other sites and have come up with 3 choices: Lyman 57 SML,
Williams Hawken FS, and Dixie Gun Works EPO 711 Vernier Tang or similar Marble tang sight. Here’s the problem: the tang on the rifle is not long enough to mount any of the sights so I need to increase the tang length or install a mounting plate. I wanted some opinions on some of my mounting plans. I also found that both the Lyman and Williams sight were not in stock anywhere (except on EBay at 2-3x the price).
Is it a good idea to epoxy and wood screw a mounting plate into an inlet made in the stock directly behind the tang?
I’ve done this on another rifle and I know attaching a sight to wood is not a great solution but it seems to work.
Can an extension be welded to the tang, inlet the stock, and attach the sight to this elongated tang?
I don’t know what type of metal the tang is made of however, I assume it’s not just mild steel. Is the tang hardened or tempered as a rifle barrel?
I can do the necessary welding, tapping, machining etc for this project.
there is another choice the johnson peep sight it takes the williams eye cups and can be mounted in the place of the blade sight . or a custom blade can be made for the original sight can be made , it would help to see the sight your are replacing

I've been looking at those. Skinner also makes a dovetail sight, correct?
In addition to the one I pictured, they make a dovetail & also a screw mounted peep that fit where your rear open sight is. I actually prefer those peeps that mount farther out on the barrel as they offer quicker sight acquisition & better low light visibility. Skinner makes top quality stuff & has great customer service. Marble also makes a dovetail mounted peep they call the Bullseye. Only about $15, so it's a inexpensive way to try a barrel mounted peep. I have the Bullseye on my rifles in combination with a white bead front and couldn't be happier.

Another option for a peepsight would be the small Williams peep made for the Marlin 336 D&T a couple holes at the very rear of the barrel and it'll be almost as close to your eye as the aforementioned tang peeps. And it is adjustable & various apertures are available.

Hi all! Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Necchi: You are correct the rifle is not a Traditions Hawken Mountain Rifle kit but rather a Traditions Mountain Rifle kit. Looks like I combined the St Louis Hawken kit and the Mountain Rifle kit to come up with a non existing hybrid kit. Thanks for the correction.
Why I use the peep: I’ve been shooting competitively for 50 years mostly AR, Garands and M1A which all use peep sights. I had many leaf sighted rifles and over the last 15 years the leaf sight has become a blur. I know how a leaf sight picture should look but can’t see it. I’ve tried different Rx glasses, glass lens attachments, moving the sights including moving a peep sights to various positions on the barrel. None of it works for me except a peep that’s a few inches from my eye. Fortunately I can see pistol iron front sights very clearly. The best, consistent groups I shoot are with peep sights(if using irons). I am gradually using red dots on ARs and pistols but that’s a whole different story.
Rebel, Crow #2, Crow R, Hawkeye and Neechi great sight suggestions all will be looked at if my current solution doesn’t work out.
What I’m doing, after reading the replies and finding Lyman 57 sml and Williams tang sights unavailable is to go with a simple screw type tang peep similar to the Skinner. At the least, this sight will tell me the elevation and windage(front sight drift) necessary for this rifle. I did over engineer the sight by placing a .600 long threaded brass under the tang hole. The threads on the tang and brass plug are timed and continuous. Plug was epoxied into the wood. The tang’s curved rear has to be relieved so it is not contacting the stock. The stock has been stained with water/alcohol based leather dye ( brown with a few drops of black). Barrel will be rust blued. I included a picture of the leaf sight which was included with the kit.
2102AEE7-7C22-465D-B0F2-03A39C4888C9.jpeg
7E9557A1-D7A0-4C6D-89D4-9991CCCF3F59.jpeg
DBD05C5E-977D-4E69-AC8C-AC1612D5C3EB.jpeg
F88FC5A6-678E-4F6D-8590-00EDA8DF4A81.jpeg

If you are still interested in a Lymen 57 SML Peep Sight, Amazon has them in stock for $107. I just bought one yesterday, for my Investarms Bridger Hawken Rifle. I couldn't find one anywhere except ebay, which people we're selling them for an insane prices. I looked on Amazon, I Couldn't believe they were in stock. Hopefully this information helps you.

Back