• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

State laws for muzzleloader season??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-g willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in Ohio
ANYTHING 38cal. and bigger that loads from the muzzle is legal.
Inlines ,sabots ,scopes,shotgun primers, you name it . (Real primitive eh? :shake: )
What are the laws in your states?

:hmm: Willy

Off the top of my head. I might forget something but Washington state is this. .40 cal or larger for deer. .50 cal or larger for other big game primarily Elk. Unless it's 170 grns or large in weight. Also the ignition must be percussion such as #11, musket, and exposed to the elements. Lead only and no scopes.

NY: Loads from the muzzle and is .44 cal or larger. Single barrel only. Revolvers not allowed. Must have pistol permit to use single-shot m/l pistols. Can use m/l rifles during regular season; even in shotgun only regions.

Maryland DNR rules - .40 cal. and up is legal for deer. MLs can also be used in "Shotgun" season ( only "Firearms" season is MD's 2 westernmost counties where breech loaders are legal ). ML pistols are also legal for Deer, can't remember if there's a cal. restriction. MLs legal for most game ( shotgun/smoothy only for dove & woodcock ), except no ML rifles for Spring Turkey (Duh!).

Only complaint - Season's too short !!!

PA has two seasons, an early "anything that loads from the muzzle" season and the late primitive flintlocks only. Must be .45 or larger regardless on weapon. No BP handguns permitted. No florescent orange requirements in the late
season. :thumbsup:

Michigan has no restriction for cal.has to be bp or bp substitute,you can use a muzzleloader in the shotgun only zone :winking: Rocky

WI : 40 cal or larger for rifles.
45 cal or larger for smoothbores.

No scopes greater than 1x allowed, percussion muzzleloaders considered unloaded if cap is off of the nipple, I presume a flinter is considered unloaded if the pan is emptied. Black powder or BP substitute must be used. Solid projectiles only, no "buckshot".

Vic

I hope I remember every correctly. Missouri is 40 cal. or larger for deer, scopes, inlines, single shot pistols, revolvers, shotguns/smoothbores loaded with slugs/round balls. That's during ML season. Modern firearms season you can use all them or a modern rifle, handgun of at least 357 cal. I believe, or crossbow. Crossbows are not allowed during archery season.....and I hope it stays that way.

Thank goodness it isn't as restrictive here as it is in some states..I'd have to leave.

Vic

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Flints are legal. Was trying to nicely say 209's are not during ML season.

Kentucky keeps it pretty simply - quoted from our Hunting Guide;

"Muzzle-loading gun:(defined as) any rifle, shotgun or handgun in which the bullet or projectile is placed in the gun from the discharging (muzzle) end of the barrel or cylinder."

For deer hunting the state guide says this regarding muzzleloaders:

"Muzzle-loading equipment - restrictions -
Muzzle-loading rifles or handguns of any
caliber are permitted. Muzzle-loading
shotguns no larger than 10 gauge used
with slugs only are permitted. A muzzleloading
firearm that can be fired more
than once before reloading is permitted,
as long as it meets the definition of
a muzzle-loading firearm. In-line
muzzle-loading rifles are permitted and
using telescopic sights (scopes) on
muzzleloaders is allowed."

Note - there is one set aside area where in-lines and scopes are not allowed.

Modern weapons - only restriction for deer is that they not be rim fire - other than that anything goes - I guess you could leagally hunt deer with a .25 auto if you were inclined to do so. :rotf:

In Virgina the rules are:

45 cal or larger
single projectile
muzzleloader rifle no pistol
50g bp or more, BP substitute OK, no smokeless

season is 1st sat in Nov for 2 weeks. You can use muzzleloader on regular season.

Scopes permitted. Inline permitted.

Eastern part of state (east of Blue Ridge) has different seasons than west of Blue Ridge. 3 bucks allowed with general license, 4 does. Some counties have unlimited deer. Most west of Blue Ridge Counties have last 3 days of season as either sex. George Washington National forest is huge area in Western part of the state with good hunting. I have hunted there.

Here is the rules on ML in VA:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/deer_seasons.asp#Muzzleloading_Deer_Seasons

Chap Gleason, Loudoun Co Va

We have a 40 cal. min. with rifled barrels and 45 cal. min. with smooth bores. No scopes or red dots sights. If you like to hunt the regular rifle deer season you can hunt with your muzzleloader and scopes are legal. Open sights only during the regular muzzleloader hunt which is two week season late Nov. to 1st week in Dec. In some areas either sex and you can buy up to 5 management tags.

Back