• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

starting a kibler kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i will be starting a kibler kit soon. it is going to be my first " in depth build" other than a GPR kit. I will ahve help for the first rifle but I am already planning on building more...any reccomendations on a vise...and chisels

Check out the thread “new builder”. Get the only a few very good chisels and stones. Sharping is key to good work! I would start with 1/8”, 1/4”, flat and a 3/8” gouge. Then buy only what you need. Sets rarely have what you will need and can be lesser quality for the money.

Get the gun makers vise from Woodcraft. For chisels get Pfeil, also from Woodcraft. Not cheap, but worth the money. Chisels are useless without good sharpening stones. DMT is good for that. Good rule of thumb is to pay top dollar for any hand tool that cuts anything.

I needed to show a copy of my Moxon Vise, but I hate showing my messy work area. While perhaps best for working with boards for preparation in cabinet work, I found it to be very useful in holding gun stocks, barrels or the entire assembly. I did find that I needed some provisions to insert blocks to prevent the jaws from racking and not holding properly. Often these are boards approximately the width of the stock and they rest on supports that are placed on the wire staples on the bottom of the vise.
Moxon01.JPG

Moxon03.JPG

Moxon02.JPG

Moxon04.JPG

Start a conversation that includes your email address so I can send a copy of the plans.

Another option for a vice is making one out of a wooden clamp. I believe Zonie posted a picture of the one he made in another thread awhile back.

Yes, I made a couple of clamps using wooden clamps.
GUNVISE.jpg

GUNVISE2.jpg

That said, I built my first 10 rifles using only a "Workmate" vise/table and it worked fine. It also allowed me to clamp a small vise to it to hold small parts while I worked on them.
I mention this because all too often I see people on the forum who want to build a rifle and they all seem to have the idea that they are going to need to buy all sorts of fancy equipment in order to do it. Although it's nice to have some of these fancy things, they really aren't necessary. Just a good stout table, a metal vise and some basic tools like an electric drill, good files and good chisels are all a person really needs.

Back