• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless Steel Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So, what's the deal with Stainless Steel revolvers? Were there originals in nickle silver? See them advertised and sometimes pictures, but remain kinda puzzled. Thanks. :confused:

Original nickle plated Colts and Remingtons are to be found, some from the factory and a lot done outside the factory. It was a method of rustproofing the gun given the corrosive nature of the caps and fouling as well as a cosmetic thing. Some claim the reproduction stainless revolvers were made to simulate nickle plating but I always felt they were made to appeal to those who were paranoid about rust. You can easily tell the difference between nickle, stainless and chrome at quite a distance so they really don't really do a good job of simulating nickle plating. I shot one quite a bit that belonged to a friend many years ago and I did find it easier to clean than a blued version. The N-SSA allows them in competition based on the fact that they "simulate nickle plating". I have no interest in them nor do I have anything against them, if you want one go for it. One advantage would be if you carried it a lot as in hunting in bad weather you wouldn't have to worry so much about it.

I have a Stainless and a blue Uberti 58' Remington as well as 7.5 & a 5.5 Ruger Old Army, both Stainless. So here are my two cents.....

Just remember Stainless is LESS not rust PROOF. It will rust etch & pit, just not as fast / bad as a blue gun. I think Stainless is a tad easier to clean but not enough to buy Stainless just for that.

Capt. Thomas

It also wasn't invented until 1913 and wasn't used to make firearms until about 1965, so that makes it about as HC/PC as a Delorean on the Oregon trail.

colorado clyde said:
It also wasn't invented until 1913 and wasn't used to make firearms until about 1965, so that makes it about as HC/PC as a Delorean on the Oregon trail.

Bad example, didn't Marty McFly drive a Delorean in the Oregon Trail era?

I never have felt the need for a stainless percussion revolver as they need to be cleaned just as the blue versions do and were never made originally in stainless as it didn't exist then.
In my opinion a nickled gun looks nothing at all like a stainless gun no matter what one does to the finish.
I have several modern stainless guns but still prefer a good blue finish for appearance.

NSSA will allow the Stainless Revolvers, but your gun must have traditional sights, you can't have the adjustable target sights.

Well, I went ahead and bought it cheap. Traditional sights, but it is a bit larger than my other Remington. I like the size because I am a bit bigger than average and it fits my hands pretty good. So, why the size difference and does that matter?

I have an 1858, .44, with a 7 1/2" octagonal barrel, made by Pieta and sold by Traditions. I bought it when I lived in Florida because of the high humidity. For sights, it has a post in front and a notch in the hammer. It shoots pretty good with 20 grains of powder. Keep yer powder dry......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a purty Spiller & Burr thats has all the stell parts browned instead of blued. It makes a nice contrast with the brass.

Latest posts

Back