• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One hazelnut to many!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went squirrel hunting this morning.
Yesterday was a wash out with heavy rain all day. More was threatened this morning but for a window early doors so I pryd the .45 from the cabinet and we set off.
At the first hazel Jess stopped abruptly! Uh ho I whispered!
It came charging out of the hazel and into an oak. No doubt it was seeking a launching pad to attack from! Hammer was back, instinctively. Gun leveled and boom, the threat was gone.
IMG_20230806_070805.jpg

Next we got under a beech tree as a shower came in. The shower had a male squirrel run down from the canopy and sit on a lower branch directly up from our position. I fired before we were spotted. No chance of being pounced upon. Instant death came upon him.
IMG_20230806_071643.jpg

The third squirrel was totally ambushed in another beech a mile away but it got stuck up the tree it died in. Kind of fitting in a sense but Jess was going nuts in that she could not reach it!
The weather turned ugly again so we headed for home.
Any ways, happy soggy dog and happy soggy muzzloader hunter.
IMG_20230806_092702.jpg

I like how even foul weather will not keep you and Jess from the hunt. Well done.
And you have saved England from the perilous threat of three of its most vile nemesis- attack squirrels 🐿️!
If only they knew how much the effort was to save them folk from marauding attack squirrels instead of just thinking I'm an old weirdo, shhhes 🙄

Went squirrel hunting this morning.
Yesterday was a wash out with heavy rain all day. More was threatened this morning but for a window early doors so I pryd the .45 from the cabinet and we set off.
At the first hazel Jess stopped abruptly! Uh ho I whispered!
It came charging out of the hazel and into an oak. No doubt it was seeking a launching pad to attack from! Hammer was back, instinctively. Gun leveled and boom, the threat was gone.
View attachment 242746
Next we got under a beech tree as a shower came in. The shower had a male squirrel run down from the canopy and sit on a lower branch directly up from our position. I fired before we were spotted. No chance of being pounced upon. Instant death came upon him.
View attachment 242747
The third squirrel was totally ambushed in another beech a mile away but it got stuck up the tree it died in. Kind of fitting in a sense but Jess was going nuts in that she could not reach it!
The weather turned ugly again so we headed for home.
Any ways, happy soggy dog and happy soggy muzzloader hunter.View attachment 242748
Nice dog! What species of squirrel is that? It looks like an American Grey squirrel. I miss my squirrel hunting companion!

Nice dog! What species of squirrel is that? It looks like an American Grey squirrel. I miss my squirrel hunting companion!
Yes sir, the Victorians imported some American greys here. Dam things brought a pox and all but wiped out red squirrel out. Hence no restrictions shooting and trapping them.

Back