• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hide Usage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are some good usages for squirrel hide/leather? We have a lot of squirrels here and thought I might find some projects...

I make bags of various sizes from them. Use them to hold my flint and steel stuff, my general supplies in my hunting/fishing pack, ball bags in my shooting bag, etc.

Also my cats love them as toys to tear around the house with. They will stalk them and pounce on them. You will usually find a couple laying on the floor around the house that they're using for toys. They occasionally cause some odd looks from people like carpet cleaners. :grin:

As maybe you could guess from my name, I use squirrel tails as decoration on outdoor stuff, backpacks, fishing bags, hunting bags, and so forth. Not much of my outdoor gear doesn't have at least one squirrel tail attached (usually a lot more) and maybe a fox tail attached too.

My first thought was to make a pair of light gloves but I didn't know if the leather would be tough enough for something that gets heavy use. I really think it is an under used resource...

squirrel is a real tough hide, knew someold timers that loved it or groundhog for boot laces n such and always cut them up into thongs for tieying stuff up, good for an attracter when out predator hunting to, that big ol tail wiggles just pretty like in a little breeze n brings all sorts of meat eaters in closer.

Years ago, I believe in the Backwoodsman Magazine, there was an article on making a squirrel skin blanket. I'm sorry I don't remember all the details but here goes. After tanning the hides, hair on, you then cut the skins into long strips by cutting spirals starting on the outside. Cut a tab on one end and a slit on the on the other to attach the skins together after twisting them so the hair is on the outside. After that you weave the long strips into a blanket. Simple, huh? And no, this is not a joke. Perhaps someone else is familiar with this. I would really like to have the instructions in front of me again. I can't find them.

I used a squirrel hide to make the flap for this bag.. It came out sort of stiff, but that's good because it stays down on it's own without a button.

10515_459700090741329_419847026_n.jpg

Squirrel skin was also used as a repair material for cracked or broken powder horns. It was nice and thin to work with and tough for lasting repairs.
P1010204.jpg
P1010206.jpg

:rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: horn-the colonial plastic n rawhide-the colonial duct tape :blah: :stir:

I'll double on the thongs/laces since the hides are fairly tough. You get $.35 per squirrel tail if you sell the tails to Mepps.

We have ground squirrels here,if you shoot one you can't pick it up,you will have fleas all up your arm and they even shut the national parks down once in awhile becuase of plague fears.

We also have the greay squirrel and i used to hunt them every year but it's been awhile as folks have built a few homes up there.

Okay, I've kept quiet about the flea issue but now that the cat is out of the bag.....
I seldom have trouble (i.e. a lifetime of squirrel hunting). I got into the bad habit of sticking my squirrels in the game bag in the back of my camo vest. In any event last year I finally got fleas and it was some trouble getting them out of the house. I've thought about putting shot squirrels in a plastic bag and spray for fleas before cleaning the squirrels, etc. Any ideas?

Basicly, all you have to do is allow the dead squirrel's body temperature to drop. Once it is stone cold dead, all of the fleas, lice, vermin, head for warm blooded pastures.

IN WARM WEATHER, ANYTHING i SHOOT i'LL HANG ON A BRANCH while hunting the rest of the day, then retrace my step n pick them up on the way out(knock on wood) any buggy critters on them left sometime durng the day and they were pretty much free n clear to carry

Latest posts

Back