• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What sizes of linen thread to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bark-eater

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've been meaning to learn to sew for a long time, and now I intend to make myself a "Suit" and sundry accoutrements. I've collected a good stock of wool, linen and a bit of leather, so its time to get started. I fired up the internet to order some linen thread, and was confronted with a myriad of choices:

thread_chart_512x416.jpg

My intention is to make everything from skin out clothing as well as stitching blankets together, moccasins and other leather projects, so I get that I might need 3-4 different sizes of thread, but I'm not finding any info on which sizes will cover all the projects or what the different numbers mean in practical terms.

I've found some info that says that 35/2 is pretty much the same as 50/3. So when I place an order do flip a coin?

Other thing I saw was that sewing shops used these numbers to describe linen thread, and weaving shops use the same numbers to describe linen "yarn" Is this the same stuff?

Thanks, Woody

I use Barbours thread natural #6 for 10-12 oz leather and #3 or #4 for lighter weight leathers. Be careful and make sure it is an ALL-linen thread that you are buying. Most threads now a days are synthetic or a blend of synthetic. Not that that is a bad thing but if you want true linen thread you got to make sure it is 100% linen thread. A lot of Poly-blend threads are very good - stay away from the all nylon stuff. My two cents worth.;)

Attachments

• P1030881.JPG
    P1030881.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 0
I went ahead and ordered 3 different weights of sewing thread: 18/3, 35/2 and 60/2. I may have some heavier linen for leather work somewhere, but, @ZUG I will check out the Barbour's when I get to some leather work.

Depending on time and place, plain old cotton thread is accurate for clothing as well as linen and hemp. Clothing should be sewn with light single/double ply.

Back