• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sperm Oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting BP is ultimately a useless hobby, but it’s rather an interesting pass time.

Unsure how knowing how to shoot, regardless of the method of ignition or the type of propellant, has no use? The sighting system on my flintlock, on my caplock, on my lever-action, and on my police sidearm and rifle are essentially the same..., OK well the police rifle has a peep sight, but that goes back 3 centuries too.

Regardless of whether one thinks climate change is human made or not, we are experiencing, where I live, more powerful storms, causing more damage, and more frequent..., and in my area a large portion of the homes are 100% electric based. So..., knowing how to kindle a fire in my back yard, without a modern source of a butane lighter or a match, plus owning the gear to use said open fire to prepare food and/or sanitize water, coupled with enough temporary shelter to house my family, and protect food and water supplies... useless?

:wink:

LD

Bulk Apothecary is my source for soap making supplies and has jojoba oil for $21.45/14oz. They have lots of other waxes and oils if someone was inclined to experiment.

Back when I shot blackpowder cartridge silhouette, I tried various lubes and eventually concocted my own. One formula contained Dexron ATF and another Mobil 1 full synthetic, and neither made tar like fouling. A retired Gov't chemist explained something about the long hydrocarbon chains that made my head hurt....

Anhydrous lanolin is like a heavy grease. I've tried it as a patch lube but didn't like it. I've tried olive oil and wasn't thrilled with it. Palm oil worked, but got too stiff to even think about using when temperatures dropped below 40*F.

jon math said:
OK just so I'm clear. Knowing that the orbital period of Mars is 687 days relates to black powder shooting, but wanting to experiment with a historically accurate component of muzzle loading is just a waste of time?
Not a waste of time, just time better spent using something that is available that might actually make a long-term improvement in your shooting. Wanting to try sperm oil is a bit like running up a very steep hill in deep sand - you expend a lot of energy but don't really make much forward progress....

jon math said:
OK just so I'm clear. Knowing that the orbital period of Mars is 687 days relates to black powder shooting, but wanting to experiment with a historically accurate component of muzzle loading is just a waste of time?

Nope...Read this post I made on page 2. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/1699026/

Plus, if historical experimentation is your hobby, it's definitely not a waste of time...

Where I think sperm oil is a waste of time is if one is looking to use it to win championships.

I guess one could look at top scores before 1970 and compare them to today...My guess is that shooters have adapted to the lack of whale oil and are out performing their pre-1970 counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I think sperm oil is a waste of time is if one is looking to use it to win championships.

I guess one could look at top scores before 1970 and compare them to today...My guess is that shooters have adapted to the lack of whale oil and are out performing their pre-1970 counterparts.

Actually, CC, I believe the choice of lubes is a combination of several factors. Availability being a big one. Reliability under various conditions. e.g. from the range on a hot day to hunting in freezing temps. I have seen many concoctions used in that elusive search for the perfect lube. Water pump grease had a period of popularity. Bear grease has long been popular for those who have a source. As for competition. We are all competitors in our own way.
BTW, I tried finding a low price source for jojoba yesterday. No one is selling cheap. Walmart seems like a good source at one of the lowest prices I found.

I must apologize to everyone. I’m sorry I came across so ungentlemanly. I’ve been having a bear of a time at work lately and I let it flow over into my hobby and private life as well. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

jon math said:
I must apologize to everyone. I’m sorry I came across so ungentlemanly. I’ve been having a bear of a time at work lately and I let it flow over into my hobby and private life as well. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

I reviewed yer post and couldn't find anything offensive. Yer just going to have to try harder. :wink: :v

I don’t know why anyone would get offended by words on a screen written by people we don’t know and may never meet.
You point was on target a chance to play with components that some old timers used back in the day.
We have to remember that sperm oil was expensive back in the day, though two ounces would probably last a frontiersman a year. And he didn’t skimp if he didn’t have to. A rifle might cost all the hard money a man would see in a year, we know Boone bought imported 400 count linen to patch with.
On the other hand the thing that made spermoil in demand was its ability to burn in a lamp without much smoking.
Would spermoil have served the needs of frontiers man or even the trans frontier or more settled areas better then bearoil. Would bear oil have been cheaper in the trans area or even western areas of the settled areas.
Ned Roberts talked about selling Bear oil from and 1880s hunt. Although this is after the Great age of whaling sperm oil was still easy to get.
I wonder if the wonders of sperm oil exist more in myth then real world functions.

Thanks for understanding, I was defiantly not myself.

I’m better off not finding the stuff anyway, I don’t want to be like the kid with an owl over his shoulder that he planned to eat for dinner replying to the game warden when asked what it tastes like; “Tough like a hawk, but a lot better than eagle”.

Since I very seldom take anything seriously, my thoughts are: I would like to try the Jojoba oil but I'm too cheap to buy it so I'll just wait til next season and shoot me one so I can wring the oil out. :grin:

Walker357 said:
Since I very seldom take anything seriously, my thoughts are: I would like to try the Jojoba oil but I'm too cheap to buy it so I'll just wait til next season and shoot me one so I can wring the oil out. :grin:

You know what's going to happen?
Everyone is going to start shooting Jojobas for their oil and the next thing you know they'll be on the endangered species list and their oil will be banned.... :doh:

No we should be safe, after all look how many years they have been selling baby oil and we still have an over abundance of them -- and they take 12 or 13 years at least to reproduce.

Well just thinking here. I recall my first .54, I bought a bunch of pre cast ball and patching. .526,.527,.530,.535. Then .010, .015,.018,.020 and .024. I tried lard, bore butter, unsalted butter, olive oil and tranny fluid.
I got best results with a .527 with lard on a .015 patch, clover leaf at fifty yards.
Back in the day you got a rifle with a mold. Does anyone think they tried three or four different ball sizes and a lot of patching?

Back