• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap small caliber range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about making a range rod for my .36Cal. It is a fun cheap gun to shoot. The leaves are falling and I will also carry the rod in the woods on squirrel hunts. I was digging a pond a year ago and at about 8 feet I dug up this knot. "I believe what is a heart pine Knot" not 100% sure because it didn't have that fat lighter smell or sap when I filed it down. It is hard as a brick, that's why I used files.
So when I started gathering up around the house stuff to make it I wanted to incorporate some old and new stuff. I figured I could make the palm saver out of the Knot. I guess it could be maybe Thousands of years old. It was 8 foot deep....
20221001_105010.jpg

I cut the ends off and traced a large circle on one end and tried to center the best I could smaller circle on the other. I wanted to shape it by hand so used files.
20221001_120336.jpg
20221001_120342.jpg

This was the end product. Took about 3 hours. I rubbed some oil on it to bring out the color.
20221001_135125.jpg

I had an old carbon arrow laying around that was 32 inches long and that was perfect length for my gun. It also has an insert that will accept a jag. I was wanting to stay with older things so didn't want to use an off the self jag and I really didn't want to buy one for it. So I dug out an old broad head that had a broken blade from hitting bone. Took the other blades off. Then I started looking for the perfect caliber rifle casing to slide over it. With .36 in mind and needing one that would not be much bigger than the shaft and would still go down the barrel. I have a few 32-20 rounds. The casing was perfect. So I let my son fire it in an old Winchester 1873 that he has been wanting to shoot for years. So casing probably only 50 years old but gun much older!
20221109_191509.jpg
20221109_191520.jpg
20221111_161301.jpg

I used apoxy to hold the broad head tip inside the casing. I also use it to glue the shaft into the knob.
20221111_160538.jpg
20221111_160531.jpg

The final product turned out pretty good and works perfect after turning the casing rim down a little.
20221111_160522.jpg

So not HC or PC, but it does have some history to it and it is unique. Just got figure out how to get the Easton off the shaft. Maybe it will wear off....

Very nice.

Be careful with that carbon shaft, you may already know this, but they can't take much flexing or they will shatter into needle sized fibers similar to fiberglass, and much worse than wood if it does shatter. I've seen carbon crossbow bolts shatter when fired because there was a nick or deep scratch in the shaft. That can happen when the arrow or bolt has been cracked or damaged during a previous shot.

You asked "range rod", not for field. Brass or stainless steel is just fine. Delrin will work well but, for some, in the small sizes it can be very 'flexy'. Ox-Yoke sells a quality brass rod.

Latest posts

Back