• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SPECIAL SELECT MAPLE Kibler Kits Move quickly!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're a gun-buyin'-fool Marplot! Every time I see your username these past months you're adding to the collection! Can't wait to see what they really look like the blanks look wild.
All my life I have lived cheap while our investment real estate has increased. My mortgages are finally paid off and the rent is increasing. For the last few years we have realized that it is time to begin to spend.

At 80, how much time do I have left? So let's enjoy these golden years by acquiring fun toys. I see something that I like, I move on it. I am still conscious of value. I do want a good price. And I love the stories associated with these items, especially the people.

All my life I have invested in people and has brought me success.

I have met good, caring people here and really feel like I belong.

I love history and fine things. Kibler has fantastic rifles. They are about as good as many custom builders, and fun about finishing the stock, metal and I have great enjoyment doing this. I have a Colonial and Woodsrunner. So when Jim K reached out to me about a soon-to-be-rare SMR and I jumped on it.

I like originals, they reek with history and I want to shoot them, not just wall hangers. I pamper them. I do not overload or stress them, but I do shoot them and the originals, and the modern want to be shot!

I really like this Forum. Many people are of moral character, patriots, honorable and having a lot of fun. I really enjoy being here and a part of this group of compatriots.

Please hope that you enjoy our collecting and fun.

All my life I have lived cheap while our investment real estate has increased. My mortgages are finally paid off and the rent is increasing. For the last few years we have realized that it is time to begin to spend.

At 80, how much time do I have left? So let's enjoy these golden years by acquiring fun toys. I see something that I like, I move on it. I am still conscious of value. I do want a good price. And I love the stories associated with these items, especially the people.

I love history and fine things. Kibler has fantastic rifles. They are about as good as many custom builders, and fun about finishing the stock, metal and I have great enjoyment doing this. I have a Colonial and Woodsrunner. So when Jim K reached out to me about a soon-to-be-rare SMR and I jumped on it.

I like originals, they reek with history and I want to shoot them, not just wall hangers. I pamper them. I do not overload or stress them, but I do shoot them and the originals, and the modern want to be shot!

I really like this Forum. Many people are of moral character, patriots, honorable and having a lot of fun. I really enjoy being here and a part of this group of compatriots.

Good on you for living a disciplined life, that's enough of an inspiration for at least a few young folks out there! I like the way you write, you can feel the enthusiasm jumping off the page and I'm very happy for you. All the best and many more guns to you sir!

At 80, how much time do I have left? So let's enjoy these golden years by acquiring fun toys. I see something that I like, I move on it. ....
I can relate. I penny-pinched for decades in order to have enough now. I don't know what these young people driving around today in $80K trucks and paying $2500 a month in rent are going to do 40 or 50 years from now. Who knows if they'll even have Social Security.

I can relate as well, lots of overtime at the power plant, a frugal lifestyle, driving my cars until the wheels almost fell off and socking away a little here and there for retirement. I planned my retirement for 2 people but my wife died of cancer 10 years ago so there is a little extra in the till.

I have made more flintlock rifles than I can ever use but am attached to all of them, I have a well-stocked shop with every guy toy a man hope for. I can hunt deer out the back door on my 4 acres, I have a garden, blueberries and muscadines, I have an almost new tractor as well.

I haven't ever broken out of frugal mode but I want for nothing, my needs are simplistic. The only serious money I spend every year is for my granddaughter's college tuition, no student loans for those gals and I am honored to pick up the tab. One has graduated and one is a sophomore and a straight A student at UT in Austin.

I have lusted after Mr. Jim's Woodsrunner (I built a SMR) but I already have 5 deer rifles, 3 flint and two percussion, I am sure I will feel the same about the upcoming fowler, but I already have two, one .62 and one .72 so I don't need another although I don't have a 16 gage. We will see.........

Last edited:
I must be different. At age 80 I'm heavy into the divestiture mode. I've already liquidated a large military and classic gun collection last year and am moving on to liquidating a large antique decoy collection. I still have my 5 M/L rifles and one smoothbore I built but have no desire to add to this collection as much as I'd like to.

I must be different. At age 80...
No, you're not different. Just older. I face that, too, in a few years. My modus operandi for the present is to: 1) divest if I need the money and don't need the asset; 2) divest if I can't make useful or pleasurable use of the asset anymore; 3) leave it to my executor to liquidate my estate when I'm gone. In any case, unless I'm really in need, I don't see an point in divesting any asset for less than I've invested, inflation-adjusted, unless it's solely to get rid of the thing for other reasons.

We divested almost all our rental houses and stashed the money in T-Bills. Safe and an ok return. Last call we were getting 5.2% partially sheltered.

Our commercial properties are doing great! Tenants pay all maintenance, property taxes and insurance. NNN. We get a check each month.

I will never go back to rental houses!

Basically I divest aggravations!

Last edited:
A bit off topic but not totally so here goes...

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was whenever you get a raise, put that in the bank or a sound investment. You'll learn to live with whatever your take home pay is so put the extra away for another day. While I was more fortunate than most by working at a college (i.e. good benefits), we put each raise into a supplemental retirement fund and it's paying big dividends now.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I’ll admit that I have more “stuff” than any one person needs. I was telling a coworker yesterday that I just purchased a new handgun. She said, think what you are doing to your poor niece (who will be the executrix of my estate). My answer, “I don’t care.” She will be ahead of the game when all is said and done, that is if her husband will allow her to liquidate the assets!

I worked in a paper mill with all the overtime I wanted for 27yrs. Every time we got a new contract I raised my 401k deduction by half the pay raise until I was up to 20% deduction of my weekly before taxes pay. Overtime covered the deductions. Now I have a worry-free retirement income but don't want a lot. Isn't that the way. If I go first, I told my she could give all my toys away for all I care.

Untold years of 1,000 hrs plus of overtime and here I am, an old man with enough time and funds to do what I want to do and that is collect and shoot muzzleloaders. Wish I was a little younger.

We share similar love of history, ethics & goals Bill & this great Forum has enabled us all to connect !
Your purchase of my prized original Danish Jeager that I hunted with & won many matches with & the Swiss Jaeger put my mind at ease.
Can no longer shoot long guns but am blessed that I can still compete with my flint & percussion handguns.
Best to all,
Relic shooter

I try to sell one if I’m buying one. Or sell two so I have room for a new one. My daughter has no interest in inheriting guns and my son is living in Japan where he can’t have one so I can thin the herd.

I spent 33 years working for Southwest Airlines as jet fixer. Maxed out my 401k withholding from day one. I was able to retire on my 60th birthday last April. Best advice I ever got was from my dad. "Son if you can't live off 40 hours a week you aren't going to live off 60".

Back