• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Next Kibler Rifle Kit - What Wood Choice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a new builder of flintlocks, and as I wrap up my current build, I had ordered another kit, the Woodrunner in the extra curly Maple, the same wood as I used with my current rifle.
I started to think about that, and wondered if another wood choice may be better, just for a change of scenery.

Trying to find an online selection of the various wood types, finished in color so that I could help make the decision.
Does anyone know if there is an online comparison, there is so much variance looking at complete rifles.

Thinking about something darker in color, though perhaps I could do that with the curly Maple, if I used a different finish than the Tried & True.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5931 2.JPG
    IMG_5931 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Thank you all, I am move to woodworking, and suggestions like that are very helpful.

How does cherry wood finish and hold up in comparison to say the curly maple wood that I used on the current build?

As probably 90% of American rifles of the period were maple, that would be the obvious choice. Walnut and cherry are good choices too as it wasn't unheard of and both of those woods yield beautiful, yet different looks.

I’m a fan of simple plain maple, it seems that the carving stands out better and the metal finish is more pronounced… that’s just my opinion. My next build or revamp will be a darker stain.. nearly black and then I’ll rub it back with steel wool and finish off the barrel and lock in French gray.

I'm a new builder of flintlocks, and as I wrap up my current build, I had ordered another kit, the Woodrunner in the extra curly Maple, the same wood as I used with my current rifle.
I started to think about that, and wondered if another wood choice may be better, just for a change of scenery.

Trying to find an online selection of the various wood types, finished in color so that I could help make the decision.
Does anyone know if there is an online comparison, there is so much variance looking at complete rifles.

Thinking about something darker in color, though perhaps I could do that with the curly Maple, if I used a different finish than the Tried & True.

Thank you!
how did you blue/black your lock? looks good..

Back