• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Someone who has both GP pistol and a GPR in .50"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Would you compare the breech of the pistol to the breech of the rifle, and tell me if it looks like it is the same breech and barrel...except for the pistol barrel being shorter of course. ??

::

Thanks In Advance.

Rat

Would you compare the breech of the pistol to the breech of the rifle, and tell me if it looks like it is the same breech and barrel...except for the pistol barrel being shorter of course. ??

::

Thanks In Advance.

Rat

While this isn't the .50 cal; I can tell you that the .54 cal GPR Rifle, AND the GP Pistol appear (at least externally) to be identical at the breech. I can't verify if they are the same internally--the breech plug may be longer or shorter by a fraction in one. I don't have an x-ray machine to tell.

IF you want me to, I will try to take some measurements using dowels and ramrods to see if I can get a rough comparison of internal length.

I really don't think there is going to be a difference though... AND I really doubt if the .50cal barrels are going to be different from each other either.

I hope that my info. was helpful in your situation.

Something else that might be useful. I remember a Guns Digest article by K. Ramage(sp?) that told of his using a .54 cal Great Plains pistol at a shooting match (and from what I can recall), he had it loaded up with 70gr charges (with round ball) to regulate P.O.I. vs. P.O.A. rather than file the sights.

That's a pretty stout load in a handgun to be sure. I really think that much more than that and the powder would be wasted by burning it outside the barrel.

Again, I'm not recommending a load or charge weight as all these guns are "different critters" and may not handle the same loads. Just do some thorough testing with safety first, and then decide if it will handle what you want. If there's the least doubt, then switch to a different (bigger!) gun.

FYI, I believe Blue Grouse will custom build an 8 bore underhammer pistol if you want something that can REALLY handle LOTS of powder AND a BIG lead round ball... if you're wanting to have a "last-chance" pistol.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Hey thanks WVHB, no you don't have to measure further, that pretty much confirms my suspicions.

I'm not intending to go beyond 70 grains at most, for the reason that a short barrel can only burn so much powder, point of diminishing returns, and all that. From my shooting so far, 65 grains is by no means over the edge as far as recoil or muzzle blast. Also, as the powder collum (sp?) gets longer, the barrel gets shorter, which adds into that there law of the diminishing returns! Or makes it worser...or something. I'm gonna try 70 grains, and if recoil and blast is not much different than 65 I'll stop there, call it good, and then start enjoying the gun with lighter loads.

That 8 bore sounds interesting, but must be a heavy sucker! That's o.k., I'm happy with the little .50" and figure 65 grains and a roundball puts me in .357 magnum territory at the least. With a Ballet it can probably equal some of the hotter, (not magnum) loads in the .45LC. And that's all I'm looking for, just something with more authority than the BP revolvers, but not a hand held rifle.

I have no doubt that the GPP will serve me well, and is a big enough gun.

Rat

Greetings Rat,I have a GPR and a GPP.They do infact appear tp be the same although I have not taken precise measurements.the locks are different though.Best Regards,Jack.

I have the GPP in .54 and bought a .50 barrel for it at midsouth. They change right out. So no which ever I am hunting with in the rifle I have a back up.
Old Charlie

Ok Jack and Charlie...velly velly interesting.

:thanks:

Rat

Latest posts

Back