• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who has derringers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only shot the bullets it came with but have read some of the same material you have concerning projectiles, need to find something else that will work because they seem to be out of bullets at the NAA website and of course no bullet equates to it just being a neat little paper weight! I did see a YT video where some guy converted his into 22lr and they may sell the conversion kit but don't hold me to that.
It says on their website to call to order.

I think number for buckshot and the 22 air gun slugs are your best bet other than the factory made ammo.

Regarding 3F or 4F in small pistols. I shoot 3F Triple 7 cause its what i have for the biguns. But i do see flames when i shoot the .31. You really don’t wanna see flames because it means you still burning powder after its out of barrel which is a waste.
Issue is with the 10g per shot this .31 burns, its not worth cost to buy a pound of 4F.
So I impress the girls at range with fire and smoke out of little.31
I was looking to see if they sold the 777 in a ffffg granulation but evidently the fffg is the smallest they produce.

I went ahead and splurged on a pound of ffffg swiss. Figured that will last me the better part of forever.

I have several NAA Companion revolvers in different barrel lengths, and a couple of Freedom Arms as well. They are very precise, and extremely well made. I have found 3f is best to use, as 4f seems to escape through the nipples before capping. #4 buckshot is Dandy for plinking, while the factory bullets are nicely made and very affordable.
If you're a diehard caster, you can buy a mould from .22 reloader. Their mold is 2 cavity and makes both short and long rifle style heeled bullets.
These little guns are simply tons of fun.

I have several NAA Companion revolvers in different barrel lengths, and a couple of Freedom Arms as well. They are very precise, and extremely well made. I have found 3f is best to use, as 4f seems to escape through the nipples before capping. #4 buckshot is Dandy for plinking, while the factory bullets are nicely made and very affordable.
If you're a diehard caster, you can buy a mould from .22 reloader. Their mold is 2 cavity and makes both short and long rifle style heeled bullets.
These little guns are simply tons of fun.
Can't wait to get mine this coming week. Perhaps maybe one grain of 3F down in the bottom and the remaining three grains 4F?

That shouldn't do anything dangerous should it?

No, not at all.
Oh and for what it's worth, I use a tad of Alox lube over the ball when I'm using round balls (#4 buckshot). #4 is a really tight fit, but it's buckshot, not a precision round ball. With that in mind, it's good cheap fun shooting. The bullets from NAA perform better. And yes, you can achieve good results.

I was thinking these could work pretty good. Almost 30 g and they have a dish shape base so they should probably obturate very well.

They also appear to have a very good hollow point and they are slug shape. Certainly not your typical air gun pellet. I'm just wondering about the fact that they are 5.5 mm diameter and the bore of a 22 is 5.6 mm.

While it doesn't seem like much.... As far as a cap and ball application, 1/10 of 1 mm could be significant.

Just some alternative that could be used in a pinch.

Screenshot_20230629-225436.png

The biggest problem with the airgun pellets for a cap and ball is the size simply because of the fit in the cylinder.
They're fine if you load only one shot. But if you load more than one chamber they do not fit tightly enough to stay put when the gun goes off. This will most like result in a chain fire. Full sized revolvers are bad enough, but mini revolvers can more easily put a couple into the shooter because they're so small and more difficult to hang on to.

Otherwise, those look like really good projectiles.

Another note;
A tip on how to hold the mini was shared by their designer, Mr. Casull.
It might look like an overcooked way to hold them, but it works.
If you hold the gun in the strong hand, basically pinching the grip between the thumb and index finger, and use the off-hand thumb and index finger to cock the hammer and pull the trigger. The results are a more stable hold and a better result on the target.
The attached photo is of a 4" Companion in action being held as described.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20200813-222040.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200813-222040.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
The biggest problem with the airgun pellets for a cap and ball is the size simply because of the fit in the cylinder.
They're fine if you load only one shot. But if you load more than one chamber they do not fit tightly enough to stay put when the gun goes off. This will most like result in a chain fire. Full sized revolvers are bad enough, but mini revolvers can more easily put a couple into the shooter because they're so small and more difficult to hang on to.

Otherwise, those look like really good projectiles.
10-4
I wonder about the feasibility of the 25 caliber ones? I wonder if the loading lever could swage them in for a tight fit?
You know us muzzleloaders, always thinking about alternatives for supply chain issue.

If it did swage them in, I'm sure a good chunk of lead would be shaved off.
Screenshot_20230630-121712.png

I have only shot the bullets it came with but have read some of the same material you have concerning projectiles, need to find something else that will work because they seem to be out of bullets at the NAA website and of course no bullet equates to it just being a neat little paper weight! I did see a YT video where some guy converted his into 22lr and they may sell the conversion kit but don't hold me to that.
Talked to the girl at NAA yesterday on the phone and she said they just ran out of the bullets and have re ordered, they expect them back, in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Talked to the girl at NAA yesterday on the phone and she said they just ran out of the bullets and have re ordered, they expect them back, in about 3 to 4 weeks.
My pew pew is coming tomorrow. The 250 that come with the kit should easily last me that long.

Have to order me about 750 or 1,000 when they come in.

Latest posts

Back