• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Someone Talk Me Out of a Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pleasant dreams, Grumpa!

Here's a cople for when you wake up!
First one is a Lewis Barbar, about 1700,
Second is James Lowe, C 1740 -50.
Both are 20 bore, but neither made for shooting tigers from a howdah. :)

DSCN1530.JPG
DSCN1531.JPG
DSCN0958.JPG
DSCN0968.JPG
DSCN0966.JPG

TFoley,

The trouble with shoving your pistol down a tiger's throat before pulling the triggers, is that tigers don't arrive face first, but paws first, and by the time you got the pistol in his mouth, you would be well and truly mopped up!

All the best,
Rich.

Sir, I didn't write the 'Howda we deal with a charging tiger' handbook, but Rhodda of Calcutta - 'Makers of fine firearms for the discerning, and by Royal appointment to His Imperial Majesty King Edward VII and His Excellency Lord *********, Viceroy of Indian' obtained the services of a well-known Shikar who did. It seems to me that the tiger's main target was not necessarily the Shikar, but the elephant driver, the 'Mahout' and it seems that while the tiger was occupied munching on him, there might just be an opportunity to engage ol' stripey.

Remember that I never claimed that the use of a Howdah pistol met with universal success, just that it offered you an option that you would be crazy to ignore.

Enfield,

Very bonny work!

In your above photos, I'd suggest the first set (Looks like Charles Lancaster) were made up for a Maharajah of a Princely State. They Did like their gold and koftgari work!
Don't see evidence of a lot of use!
The pair on the rough wood background are Wesley Richards, and I'm sure the wonderful flint pistol is a Joseph Manton.
Wonderful high end work!
The European pistols are high end, but not my style really. :)

T Foley,
No harm meant on the tiger bit, it's just that there is a lot of trouble with a tiger even Before his teeth get there. :)

Very best!!

R.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the recommended load sheet from Pedersoli. At the bottom of page 19a you will find the recommended loads for the Howdah pistol.

For the 20 gauge round ball load the recommended charge is 28 to 35 grains. For a 1 oz shot load they recommend a 25 to 35 grain powder charge.

Both of those recommendations seem a little weak to me.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/supporto/9TABELLA DOSI POLVERE 2018-04.pdf

Here are photos of my new Howdah pistol.

I got a .614 caliber round ball mold to cast with. That's about a 20 gauge ball weighing about 350 grains. Add about three 00 buck pellets with that and I'll have two barrels of one ounce loads of buck & ball to shoot with.

We don't have tigers here but I can sure make some watermelons explode!
Howdah (1).jpg
Howdah (2).jpg
Howdah (3).jpg
Howdah (4).jpg
Howdah (5).jpg
Howdah (6).jpg
Howdah (7).jpg

I know it's barely outta the box Enfield, but, can you share your initial impressions with us? Build quality, trigger pulls, balance, etc?

Have fun with her, Skychief

PS, if you run any birdshot through it for patterns, please get a hold of me as I'd love a report!

Here is the link to the recommended load sheet from Pedersoli. At the bottom of page 19a you will find the recommended loads for the Howdah pistol.

For the 20 gauge round ball load the recommended charge is 28 to 35 grains. For a 1 oz shot load they recommend a 25 to 35 grain powder charge.

Both of those recommendations seem a little weak to me.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/supporto/9TABELLA DOSI POLVERE 2018-04.pdf
Pedersoli have traditionally been very conservative on loading data.

In the pictures one can see the thickness at the muzzles, it clearly is a standard set of shotgun barrels from pedersoli and clearly will take more than they say!

I know it's barely outta the box Enfield, but, can you share your initial impressions with us? Build quality, trigger pulls, balance, etc?

PS, if you run any birdshot through it for patterns, please get a hold of me as I'd love a report!

Pictures show Pedersoli quality.

I too am interested in the balance, looks muzzle heavy, but may not be and also what the trigger pulls are like. I have a Pedersoli 10 gauge and the right trigger pull was acceptable but the left barrel trigger pull was a beast. It went to visit the gunsmith and is fine now.

My initial impressions are very favorable. However, I will list my criticisms of the pistol first.

Getting the ram rod out of the pistol was very difficult. I solved that problem by flattening out the retaining spring very slightly. It didn't take much.

Then I went over the rod itself with some fine grit sand paper. I used the sand paper just enough to smooth out the surface of the wood without affecting any stain. To keep the ram rod slick, I wiped it with the beeswax/olive oil lubricant. It impregnated the wood nicely. This slicked up enough to get the rod in and out of the gun without any problem.

The only other major criticism I have is regarding two little imperfections underneath the pistol by the muzzle. They are two small plugs(?) that stick out and are rough enough that it scratches the brass end of the ram rod.

I will be taking a small file to these later then re-blue the surface. See the photo below. You can see the brass on plugs. I think these plugs were used to fill in the screw holes for when they had a permanently attached ramrod on the swivel.

I would have liked to see them retain that feature.

Howdah (12).jpg

I neglected to take a photo of the underside of the pistol earlier. As you can see in the next photo it also looks good.

Howdah (13).jpg

This is not a criticism but worth mentioning with regards to a person's expectations of this pistol. When you buy this thing, you have to realize that it is not a target pistol. With that said, the original design concept behind this hand-held behemoth was to put a really big ball (or a lot of them) into the brain of a really big and mean pussy-cat.

So for it's practicality in the modern world there is none, except for the fun factor. So I don't need anymore excuses to buy the pistol.

Now realizing that you aren't going to be participating in any competitions with the Howdah, realize that this thing is extremely muzzle heavy. You cannot hold it up for very long with one hand. It's not impossible but you could get tired of holding it for any appreciable length of time.

I have small hands. They are only a little larger than most women's hands. A small glove will fit my finds if only a little snug. The medium gloves fit my a little loosely. I say that to let you know that if someone has big hands they won't have any trouble reaching the front trigger which releases the hammer for the right barrel.

I can hold this pistol with one hand and easily reach the rear trigger (for the left barrel) easily. Reaching the right trigger is not impossible. I have to stretch the finger in order to touch it with the tip of the finger.

I can still pull the right trigger without shifting my grip. If I wanted to place the pad of the finger tip on the trigger, I need to shift my grip and move the hand up closer to the lock. I'll have to try it but that might be a little uncomfortable with a hard kicking load.

Since I shoot with both hands, I'll explain this next method for a right handed shooter.

Knowing that the front trigger requires stretching the trigger finger to reach it without shifting the grip, I tired grasping the pistol with two hands. This allowed me to hold the pistol on target without shifting the grip and placing the right finger on the rear trigger.

My left hand is grasping the left side of the grip/right hand. With my left hand helping to support the pistol, I am able to reach the front trigger with my left finger very comfortably.

It's my theory that this would help me get off a quick second shot or fire both barrels at once since I'm grasping the weapon with both hands.

I really like the hooked breach. The wedge pin is in the slot very tight. Use a plastic hammer to tap it out. Watch the technique for how Hickok 45 removes the wedge pin. I used his method without any problem. Fast forward to 13:45 to see how he does it.

Regarding the wood to metal fit and finish, I think it is adequate. This isn't a $20,000 custom made double gun. It is an $800 pistol. So there are very minor gaps in places that don't bother me or detract from the pistol's appearance.

When you first lay eyes on it there is the "WOW" factor. So unless your a snob when it comes to fit and finish of fine firearms, don't let this scare you from buying one.

I have some pre-measured loads of 3/4 ounce 00 buck shot for my LeMat that I'm going to try in this little marvel. I will be adding another 3 pellets of the buck shot to make it a full ounce.

I hope everyone doesn't mind but these pre-measured loads are assembled with a plastic wad. I'll explain the loads in greater detail on a future posting.

I will also be trying out some loads with 7 1/2 and number 4 shot. I'm also hoping to open up the door to the garage to cast some .614 round balls in the next day or so.

Here are some more photos in comparison to my other guns. I would have liked to placed a 3rd model dragoon next to it but it's disassembled awaiting new parts for repair. The LeMat is a big revolver and look how small it is compared to the Howdah.

I want to let you all know that I forgive you for failing miserably to talk me out of buying this twin barreled hog leg. I don't like to waste money just to look at guns. I shoot them - a lot. This one will get shot.

Howdah (8).jpg
Howdah (9).jpg
Howdah (10).jpg
Howdah (11).jpg

PS: I forgot to add that if you get this Howdah be sure to clean all the grease out of the barrels and off the gun. There was a lot on it.

In addition the nipples were not screwed in very well. They were very loose. I applied white lithium grease to the threads and reinstalled them. A pistol wrench is too small for the nipples.

I used one of my old musket sized nipple wrench to tighten them. So if you don't have a musket sized nipple wrench you could probably use a small crescent wrench to get them in and out. Just be careful so you don't slip with the wrench.

Last edited:
This is exactly why you need one - to scrape the Tiger off the front of your Elephant! You do have an elephant right? If not you might want to pick up one of those too!
On a serious note, I have a buddy who has the Pedersoli 58x58 and loves it.
So what are you saying? Are you trying to talk me into buying a 58 X 58?

You are not helping me.

Latest posts

Back