• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Size For CVA Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Way back, way back, in the late 70's I bought a CVA Flint Kentucky Pistol kit (think it was at around $50-60). Started working on it, put it aside, picked up again, put it aside. Did this 3-4 times. Well last fall started on it again, had it pretty close to finishing the barrel and stock, but got busy deer hunting, other projects, and then it got cold, Iowa winters not good in unheated shop. Started to do a basement shop, but never got that done.

Ready to finish, want to do so before I start in on my Kibler SMR for two reasons. Get it done and out of way and to use it as a guinea pig for barrel browning and doing finish to a maple stock. Once I get the CVA finished, shooting it will occur. I did originally get a flint with it, but its long disappeared. Checking here and there on the web had two results for size of flints, 5/8 x 3/4 and 1/2 x 3/4. What say any one of you here who has a CVA flint pistol or know of proper size. TOTW in their chart has both listed as working for the CVA, wondering which one is best. Don't what to order one and then wish I'd gone the other way. Also what size ball works best, the CVA is a 45 caliber, have read posted by some who say .440, others say .445. Also FFF powder load, most I've seen say 20 grains. Original shooter info sheet that came with kit long disappeared. Appreciate any info.

Edit: I know these CVA offerings are not up to par with some of the higher quality flint/percussion pistols you can get today, but hey-back in the day CVA and a few others were the only game in town. The lock on this critter looks to be made by a retired monkey out of a zoo, pretty rough. Have smoothed things up a bit. When purchased the barrel and sideplate fit the stock as if someone with a size 9 foot was slipping into a size 12. Had to do some fitting with both and I'm not talking about removing material but adding. Get her running it won't be a piece to take pictures of and post but it is what it is. Have it so may as well as finish. As I previously mentioned, a good guinea pig before working on the Kibler.

Last edited:
Way back, way back, in the late 70's I bought a CVA Flint Kentucky Pistol kit (think it was at around $50-60). Started working on it, put it aside, picked up again, put it aside. Did this 3-4 times. Well last fall started on it again, had it pretty close to finishing the barrel and stock, but got busy deer hunting, other projects, and then it got cold, Iowa winters not good in unheated shop. Started to do a basement shop, but never got that done.

Ready to finish, want to do so before I start in on my Kibler SMR for two reasons. Get it done and out of way and to use it as a guinea pig for barrel browning and doing finish to a maple stock. Once I get the CVA finished, shooting it will occur. I did originally get a flint with it, but its long disappeared. Checking here and there on the web had two results for size of flints, 5/8 x 3/4 and 1/2 x 3/4. What say any one of you here who has a CVA flint pistol or know of proper size. TOTW in their chart has both listed as working for the CVA, wondering which one is best. Don't what to order one and then wish I'd gone the other way. Also what size ball works best, the CVA is a 45 caliber, have read posted by some who say .440, others say .445. Also FFF powder load, most I've seen say 20 grains. Original shooter info sheet that came with kit long disappeared. Appreciate any info.

I would get a half inch flint to start with. If it's too short you can shim it with a match stick or something similar. If that works you can try the 5/8" flints. As far as round ball size, I'd try the . 440 first. If it's too small try a thicker patch, perhaps pillow ticking or maybe worn out jeans denim etc.. If none of this is satisfactory go to a larger ball.

Endeavour to persevere!

@Crow Choker, you can measure the width of the frizzen at its widest part. With the lock at half cock, measure from the jaw screw to the face of the frizzen and subtract about 1/8". Get the flints that are close to those dimensions. The best flints are flat on top and bottom.

I found out Sunday afternoon by typing in just 'Flint size for flintlock firearms' I was able to read a good 6-7 plus threads from various sources on determining flint size. Even a few threads from this forum. Problem I was having before was that I specified 'Flint Size for CVA Kentucky Pistol' and mostly what came up were CVA's for sale, reviews on the CVA, and other questions on how to shoot, etc. Thanks for your info Grenadier, I measured the lock and the frizzen width was 9/16", while the screw to frizzen measured 7/8". Taking off 1/8" would make I assume a proper flint to be a 1/2" x 3/4". This measurement is one suggested by Track, the other being 5/8 x 3/4. Pretty much echo's several posts I ran across Sunday afternoon. Ref ball size, I did read of a shooter using a .440" ball and suggested it as proper. I do recall now that when I bought the CVA kit some 44-45 years ago I bought the 45 pistol caliber as it took the same ball size as my TC Hawken 45 caplock. Good to go with a Lyman mold of that size.

I found out Sunday afternoon by typing in just 'Flint size for flintlock firearms' I was able to read a good 6-7 plus threads from various sources on determining flint size. Even a few threads from this forum. Problem I was having before was that I specified 'Flint Size for CVA Kentucky Pistol' and mostly what came up were CVA's for sale, reviews on the CVA, and other questions on how to shoot, etc. Thanks for your info Grenadier, I measured the lock and the frizzen width was 9/16", while the screw to frizzen measured 7/8". Taking off 1/8" would make I assume a proper flint to be a 1/2" x 3/4". This measurement is one suggested by Track, the other being 5/8 x 3/4. Pretty much echo's several posts I ran across Sunday afternoon. Ref ball size, I did read of a shooter using a .440" ball and suggested it as proper. I do recall now that when I bought the CVA kit some 44-45 years ago I bought the 45 pistol caliber as it took the same ball size as my TC Hawken 45 caplock. Good to go with a Lyman mold of that size.
I just checked mine & got the same measurements as you did. I have a flint in it which is just under 5/8" wide. It's a bit wider than the frizzen at the widest point.

I had a grab bag of flints, different sizes & material. I tried several and this one sparked the best. I have a small piece of leather folded over it to protect it from the clamp. Also, I got best results with the bevel up and the flint is a sawn amber colored stone (not knapped).

I suggest you experiment, my Kentucky rifle has the same lock except for size. Best results are with a 7/8" wide flint made from a hard black stone that has been knapped with a bevel on both sides, it works best with the longer bevel down.

Latest posts

Back