• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some detailed info on Civil War Minies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never thought of the "dropped " Minies being bullets that didn't fit and were discarded

Or how prevalent "bad powder" may have been.

Wartime Production always makes for problems with ammo when production is rushed.

I'll have to re read this article today.

Also the book "Myths and Realities of the Rifled Musket" really deep dives a lot of statistics and changed my viewpoint on a lot of things.

About forty years ago my daughter won an essay contest and the prize was a three day trip to Gettysburg. While at one of the places where they were selling items I noticed an open door to a back room where I could see two large lyman lead pots, a five gallon bucket, and a jar of muratic acid. Battle field finds?

FWIW: In the 1960's I bought a large quantity of dig-up minies from just outside the park at Gettysburg. Of course, they were, and still are white with oxidation. They are three grooves and measure .575" diameter. I gave away many over the years but still have about 100.
This is why I just size all of mine to .575, they just work

About forty years ago my daughter won an essay contest and the prize was a three day trip to Gettysburg. While at one of the places where they were selling items I noticed an open door to a back room where I could see two large lyman lead pots, a five gallon bucket, and a jar of muratic acid. Battle field finds?
I always suspected all these "Battlefield Finds" were just new bullets that were aged. But back in the 80s they were like a Quarter and made neat souvenirs

Someday someone will dig out the backstop of my range and find the 1000s of Minies I fired and think there was a Civil War training camp there or something

I can just get lost in examining photos of the various styles of hollow base bullets in use during the war.

some times things are made while you wait?

Thanks for the link.

i have a big bunch of battle field pickup bullets. Some were hard to load.

GgpOKFal.jpg

I always suspected all these "Battlefield Finds" were just new bullets that were aged. But back in the 80s they were like a Quarter and made neat souvenirs

Someday someone will dig out the backstop of my range and find the 1000s of Minies I fired and think there was a Civil War training camp there or something

Somebody mentioned muriatic acid, but if you have a container that will hold a 40 lb. bag of processed manure, you can bury them in that, and left outside, at the end of the summer I'm told they are nice and white with lead oxide....

LD

Just an aside, I recall reading that WW1 areoplane pilots would hand select machine gun ammo and Polish their ammo before a flight as there were so many bad cartridges then.
Shooting my .62 TFC with .570 ball in a paper cartridge in humid ozarks I’ve noted ramming starts becoming hard at ten shots or so, and for safety sake I swab then.
Forty shots in any sort of humidity has to become a killer, even if ammo was perfect

Just thinking about battlefield minies from CW. My guess is a lot of these were never fired but extra ammo dropped or thrown away after a battle. Probably they were cartridges wrapped in paper bundles. Over the decades all that’s left is the minie? Most that were fired would be deformed and show some sign of rifling

FWIW: In the 1960's I bought a large quantity of dig-up minies from just outside the park at Gettysburg. Of course, they were, and still are white with oxidation. They are three grooves and measure .575" diameter. I gave away many over the years but still have about 100.
Those and today's minies came from 'diggers' in Northern VA and other battle areas. Digging on the federal property of Gettysburg was and is illegal. Digging on private land is another thing. Many stores had bowls with dug minies at the cash register, remember?

Just an aside, I recall reading that WW1 areoplane pilots would hand select machine gun ammo and Polish their ammo before a flight as there were so many bad cartridges then.
Shooting my .62 TFC with .570 ball in a paper cartridge in humid ozarks I’ve noted ramming starts becoming hard at ten shots or so, and for safety sake I swab then.
Forty shots in any sort of humidity has to become a killer, even if ammo was perfect

If you shot Brett Gibbons' 'English cartridges' then you'd find that swabbing would be a bad memory. He relates having shot 160 in succession without a single swab.

Just thinking about battlefield minies from CW. My guess is a lot of these were never fired but extra ammo dropped or thrown away after a battle. Probably they were cartridges wrapped in paper bundles. Over the decades all that’s left is the minie? Most that were fired would be deformed and show some sign of rifling
Yeah, there was a lot of 'fumbling' in the heat of action. Grabbing ctgs. from the ctg. box, many times some would spill...

Latest posts

Back