• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some Questions Regarding Percussion Sharps Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry's mod is to make a replacement plate for the original paper cutter. His plate is just shy of fitting to the bottom of the conant. To take up that little bit of space, he uses an O ring that the new plate rests on. When the gun is fired, pressure on the O ring forces the new plate against the breech. Simple, effective and reversible and I haven't seen any gas cutting issues anywhere on this system. I'll try to post some pix tonight.
Ok that’s what was done to the Ami Sport I had. Before my shilo. Think Bobby Hoyt did it for me.

All responses are much appreciated. I need to familiarize myself with the Flees and Hahn modifications. I'll look them up.

I would most likely go with a Shiloh, although the 1863 offerings on their website are currently very limited. I called them a few days ago to ask about the full stocked version they used to build. I spoke with a very nice lady who knew their current line-up thoroughly but seemed unacquainted with their discontinued rifles or historical Sharps models. The upshot was she didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not stuck on that particular type, though. I'm just gathering information right now.

Again, I am much obliged to all who responded, whether with words of advice or with additional questions. I've gotten something useful out of every post so far.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Hi Bob,
I have two Pedersoli Sharps, a carbine and the long barrel Sporting rifle. The carbine has the Hahn conversion and once the simple trick of installing the ring fix t is good for 40+ rounds and keeps on going.
The Sporting rifle was such a bargain at about 50% of a new one and well you know how that goes.
It had some kind of "fix" that leaked like a sieve. I had Larry do his magic on it and frankly I cannot rank one over the other. Both work great, the Flees conversion breech block is slightly easier to clean but will not work with "period correct" cut the tail paper cartridges where the Hahn conversion will. Both guns are set up to use Hahn 1.5" tubes and the Moose ring tail bullet.
At the end of the day and after a lot of shooting I cannot see the value of being able to un convert a rifle both work as advertised.
I am still on a learning curve with both these guns.
Good luck
Message me if you have questions.
Hold center
Bunk

I do have a copy of the book that Janet signed for me.
Funny story about Janet. The statute of limitations have passed, so I can tell it.
Their ranch is in a remote area around 60 miles west and north of Kalispell. It's where the old Hooterville long range matches were held.
Janet and her husband had been having troubles with a grizzly bear troubling their cattle. Fish and Game had been called multiple times, but their efforts to trap it had failed.
Janet came home one day, and found her husband had set up one of the Sharps on a rest, pointing out the kitchen window.
She didn't think much about it, rifles in the house being common.
She was putting away groceries, and looked out the window. There was the grizzly bear that had been troubling them.
She hunkered down behind the rifle, and killed the bear. She then went outside, started the tractor with a scoop on it, loaded the bear, and parked it in the barn.
When her husband got home, she sent him to the barn, to dig a hole and bury the bear.

What is the name of the book and the author? I seemed to have missed that. Thank you, BB

What is the name of the book and the author? I seemed to have missed that. Thank you, BB

The book is entitled Sharps Rifles of Montana: The Austin Monk Collection, by his daughter, Janet Monk.

Amazon has the book, and Ms. Monk has a Facebook page which I think is also entitled "Sharps Rifles of Montana." A bunch of the photographs and captions are posted there.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

HEY GUYS....there is a new book out that will answer a lot of questions about the percussion era...the book is big and really beautiful...its titled sharps firearms the percussion era 1848 to 1865...its by roy marcot ron paxton ed marron jr....roy marcot,s phone...520-906 0716 or e mail [email protected]...i lived in bigfork montana for over 40 years and knew austin monk...eg smith and tony la geose and used to go up to austins house to visit...he kept most of his guns under the bed in his bedroom...all those guys gone now....fred fellows

Latest posts

Back