• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some pix from Camp Bud Schiele

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
We were splitting our time between camps this summer. Camp Bud Schiele in NC was the other beside Raven Knob. These pix are from Bud Schiele, week 4.

Vinny demonstrating his Ferguson. The kids loved seeing this rare bird. On the table are some other black powder rifles we use in demonstration. On the left is an original 1869 Rolling Block. Next is a Parker Hale Enfield. On the right is a bog standard "Hawken".
IMG_0872.jpg

Traffic jam at the loading table. Since the short starters are still on the table, this is during patch round ball session. Later we moved to minies in these guns and then to Civil War muskets.
IMG_0873.jpg

Vinny brought an early 80s era inline. While not "traditional", it still takes a #11 and has an exposed hammer. The hammer is centerline on the barrel so this gun is easily used by either a right or left handed shooter. Other than that, there's very little difference between it and a "Hawken" other than stock shape.
IMG_0894.jpg

Here I'm working with a Scout shooting "Susie" aka "Sewerpipe on a stick". Even with a rough bore, this gun will shoot.
IMG_0876.jpg

At this point, we've switched to Civil War era muskets aka "Zouaves". Instructor in the foreground is St Bebe. While a bit new to the dark side of shooting sports (black powder) she's an accomplished instructor and was picking up very fast on what we were doing.
IMG_0918.jpg

And the first round of Volley Fire. The kids love this stuff and we change up what we're doing and shooting at all day. Part of the targets were stuffed unicorns and other cartoony stuffed animals. Who knew a stuffed unicorn could soak up 20+ musket hits and still look sorta like a unicorn.
IMG_0920.jpg

Susie" aka "Sewerpipe on a stick". Even with a rough bore, this gun will shoot.

I almost spit my dip out when i read that…funny as heck!!!

Looks like a great time and hopefully some new folks get’n hooked on muzzleloaders!

We were splitting our time between camps this summer. Camp Bud Schiele in NC was the other beside Raven Knob. These pix are from Bud Schiele, week 4.

Vinny demonstrating his Ferguson. The kids loved seeing this rare bird. On the table are some other black powder rifles we use in demonstration. On the left is an original 1869 Rolling Block. Next is a Parker Hale Enfield. On the right is a bog standard "Hawken".
View attachment 238424

Traffic jam at the loading table. Since the short starters are still on the table, this is during patch round ball session. Later we moved to minies in these guns and then to Civil War muskets.
View attachment 238425

Vinny brought an early 80s era inline. While not "traditional", it still takes a #11 and has an exposed hammer. The hammer is centerline on the barrel so this gun is easily used by either a right or left handed shooter. Other than that, there's very little difference between it and a "Hawken" other than stock shape.
View attachment 238426

Here I'm working with a Scout shooting "Susie" aka "Sewerpipe on a stick". Even with a rough bore, this gun will shoot.
View attachment 238428

At this point, we've switched to Civil War era muskets aka "Zouaves". Instructor in the foreground is St Bebe. While a bit new to the dark side of shooting sports (black powder) she's an accomplished instructor and was picking up very fast on what we were doing.
View attachment 238429

And the first round of Volley Fire. The kids love this stuff and we change up what we're doing and shooting at all day. Part of the targets were stuffed unicorns and other cartoony stuffed animals. Who knew a stuffed unicorn could soak up 20+ musket hits and still look sorta like a unicorn.
View attachment 238434
Thank you for what you do!

Susie" aka "Sewerpipe on a stick". Even with a rough bore, this gun will shoot.

I almost spit my dip out when i read that…funny as heck!!!

Looks like a great time and hopefully some new folks get’n hooked on muzzleloaders!
My other name for the sewerpipe is the Schadenfreude Special. The bore is dark and rough inside but if you want to shoot for money........it's the gun I'm reaching for.

I bring that gun for a number of reasons. First off, it just runs and is accurate with either patch round ball or minies. Second, I got it stupid cheap from a police auction, hence the seriously rough bore. Third, it's already set up for musket caps. Fourth, it's fairly light and easy for a kid to handle. And lastly, it's an object lesson in black powder that even a rough bore can still be serviceable. Don't bother trying to read Susie's patches, they're lint with black powder fouling.

Latest posts

Back