• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So, what's in your patchbox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what the members store in there patchbox's. (if there rifle has one)

The old joke about patch boxes is that they should be sized to hold a Snickers bar...

I have two balls, a few patches, spare flint and cleaning jag for "just in case", and two asperins. I used to carry a 1.5 oz. airline size bottle of Cutty Sark but sumthin' happened to it, tee hee, it's gone.

Jag, tow worm with tow. One ball and one spare flint. A vent pick and a vent feather. All wrapped in a bit of cotton patching material to keep it quiet (and if patch material should be needed).

I also figure some future owner may bless me for the ball and patching.

HPIM0453.jpg

Based on my own stupidity, I have to lobby anyone not doing so to add a few spare shooting patches- even at the expense of tow or anything else, if that's what it takes to make room.

As I reported a couple of years back I made a bum shot on a deer with my 62 cal rifle and went to reload. Deer was right there as I searched all through my bag for patches. Nada. Went off and left them at home.

By the time I gave up and reloaded a bare ball, the deer wandered (staggered) off.

Eventually my hunting pard caught up with me, so I borrowed a patch, pulled the bare ball and reloaded.

There would have been plenty of time to load and bust him if I'd had the spares in my patch box. Would have saved me about three hours of nasty tracking.

Not everyone is as stoopid as me, but spare patches are good in any case.

Tow worm and tow, spare flint, hand made vent pick, hand made turn screw, 2 balls wrapped in some patch material and an antique oiler tin with a needle applicator for lubricant.....I know it might not be PC/HC, but I was thinking about making up a small wood vial with a screw top (maybe lacquer finish)and put a little powder in there as well??????with that addition, ifn I ever lose my shooting bag and manage to hang onto my gun, I would then have enough stuff to clean her, make small repairs and load her twice more....any of you more knowledgeable PC/HC people have thoughts on a more traditional very small (150 gr) powder carrier that would also keep powder dry and fit in yur patchbox???

A spare flint wrapped in spare patches, and a worm. If I ever needed these it would take me a minute to remember they are even there. Too much time at the range when I should be in the woods maybe.

Touch hole pick, cleaning jag, roll of greased patching material, fitted flint with wrap and a knapping bar...

In other words, small things that would get lost or be hard to find in my shooting bag that I need to keep my rifle functioning...

Things I hope I won't need in the field: spare flint and leather, jag, worm, collared ball puller, couple of patches.

White Fox

Only tooth picks. I had one open once and I lost all the jags and little doo dads in it. So I don't use it except for tooth picks. Pick the vent, keep out the rain, close off the vent and if I lose them, I lost nothing.

A cap-tin full of Grizzly Long cut Wintergreen. Nothing, but nothing ruins a hunt quicker than running out of dip!

Well, extra flints and patches is about it. Gave up using it for joints way back in the '60s :grin: .

In one gun I also carry a ball and worm.

Mine isn't a flinter, but it does have a patch box.
I haven't figured out exactly what I want to put in it but that joint idea has some merit. So does the small bottle of booze. :haha: Ok maybe those are actually bad ideas....intoxicants and guns do not mix!

I'll likely put the small dodads in it. Patch worm, ball puller and cleaning jag wraped in some cloth so it doesn't rattle around. Maybe a nipple wrench and a spare nipple.

Back