• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So, what's in your patchbox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stormcrow said:
Rifleman1776 said:
My Rev. period style longrifle has the foot of a squirrel in it's patchbox. That represents the first meat ever made by the rifle.

100 years from now there will be a debate on some forum about when your rifle was made, and what purpose squirrel's feet served to shooters from that time period. :grin:

No denying it is a relic, of a sort.

My CVA patchbox is full of roundballs to bring the balance of the gun back a few inches.

I've been thinking of making space under the butt plate of my new build to place some lead weight for the same purpose. Then I'll be able to store some of those emergency items within the patchbox spare flint, patches, knapping hammer, a couple joints and a vent pick. :v

hanshi said:
Rifleman1776 said:
BTW, isn't the term "patchbox" a later day thing?
I believe back in the day, they were referred to as "butt traps". And, many readings relate to finding flints, tow worms, etc. in them.

No, no, no! A butt trap is what you set for yourself when you try and sneak another gun into the safe past the lady.

Isn't it amazing that you can walk in the house 100 times and never see her, but every time you walk in the house with a new gun you get met in the doorway????

Rifleman1776 said:
That has to be all wrong. :shocked2:
Patch (sheath) knife attached to strap, patch cloth in strips, measure before pouring into bore; blowing into muzzle to make sure all is clear; using short starter (knife handle); bouncing ram rod to make sure load is seated.
Wat nonsense. Who ever heerd of someone doing all that to load a rifle? :wink:
Thread counters, the door out is to yer left. :rotf:

The thread counters are well aware of the quote - it is not exactly a new find - and would (hopefully) gently point out that it is specifc to the early 19th century, not 1750-80. :wink:

As for the topic at hand, I keep a tow-worm and ball-puller in my patchbox, along with some other odds and ends - dulled flints (which I tend to keep for lighting fires, extra leather for the flint, a wooden flint, a feather to plug the touchhole, and suchlike.

One original Revolutionary-era rifle (the Deschler rifle, I think) contained a couple of balls sewn up in their patches and fitted into cavities within the patchbox - a built-in bullet board of sorts.

illuveatar said:
My CVA patchbox is full of roundballs to bring the balance of the gun back a few inches.

I've been thinking of making space under the butt plate of my new build to place some lead weight for the same purpose. Then I'll be able to store some of those emergency items within the patchbox spare flint, patches, knapping hammer, a couple joints and a vent pick. :v

I've put lead under the butt plate of modern rifles for balance, and it's pretty common up here for guys to put a few survival essentials under the butt plate. Dunno about either practice for muzzleloaders in history, but it sure makes sense to me.

My .58 fullstock flint Hawken. A .58 cleaning jag and a .40 jag that screws into it for cleaning the breech powder chamber. A patch worm and a ball puller. All wedged tight to stay put and not rattle or fall out.
58PatchBoxOpen.jpg

A .50 caplock. The cleaning jag and patch puller are fitted into holes and the ball puller is threaded loosely into the wood to hold them in place.
Jolley09PBopen.jpg

I keep a sleeping bag and change of clothes in mine.
Those Chinese factory workers really taught me fold and package stuff.

For me, it is a tiny tool box. I carry a ball puller, a patch puller and a cleaning jag. I know that is probably not HC or PC but that is not an issue with me. I just do what works best for me.

Whoa! Hey there Will, welcome to the forum. I watch your show. :thumbsup:

I only have a worm, wrapped in leather in mine atm.

Someone from my home town! Too cool and welcome.

Being mostly a hunter with my guns which are fitted with patch boxes, I keep a spare flint, toothpick, cleaning jag and ball in mine. These are wrapped in a few cleaning and shooting patches - partly to have the patches and partly to keep the whole bundle quiet.

CS

Hallo! We have the show over here in Belgium too... The anti-gun establishment over here would probably get a fit if we were able to get our hands on some of the 'tools' we see in the show ... :rotf:

Back