• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patchbox on Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you made and attached the brass end cap on the lid yet? You know, the thing that looks like this.
ADzD47N.jpg

Jim usually includes a small sheet of brass from which to make it.

dave
Hopefully when I get to mine (my kit arrived today), I can do it justice. I have plans for some carving and lines on my lid/cover...but the brass is going to take some work. Tempted to find some for a toe plate too....we'll see.

Help please on patchbox. I can't get the spring to lock in behind the buttplate. I sanded the back of patchbox slightly so spring moves freely. When I slide the patchbox on, I don't think its going forward enough for spring to drop down behind buttplate and catch.

Should I file the spring to move the notch closer to the screw? Should I attempt to file a notch in the buttplate?

Any suggestions on this please?

Thank you

I would ask Jim, Jim also may have tutorials on his website.

Hi,
You will find quite a few original long rifles without brass ends on the wooden patch box lids but it was not the norm. Most have a cover. It is also a good exercise for new builders because the patch box is easily replaceable if you screw up and fitting to the lid, contouring and angling it to match the butt plate and fitting the spring to it are all tasks requiring you to develop good hand skills, which will be important if you desire to build your own guns in the future.

dave

You would have to fill that space somehow or replace the butt plate.

A patch box that abuts the butt plate with a door that fills that cutout?? Just thinking out loud here and wondering what you think based on your experience and knowledge.

I recently assembled a Colonial, and had to fo the same thing.

Take Care Stay Safe
Do not do this!!! Make sure the box stops at the front of the inlet and file / sand the END of the box lid flush with the buttplate. Trying to do this the other way won't work since the spring won't fit properly.

My mistake was not fitting the lid to the rifle with butt plate installed before doing the brass plate. One would think with what I do for a living I would know better. Such was not the case.

Rather than pay for another. I have everything I need to make them. Why pay for the chance to mess up another when I can make and mess up dozens upon dozens for the cost of my time and some electricity.

Last edited:
If you look at the latch end of the spring, you will see that there is a little shelf where the machining didn't cut the metal down to match the rest of the latching surface. That little bit of extra metal stops the latch from snugly catching the edge of the buttplate. File that little shelf off and bend(it is soft enough to bend) the spring out a little, and you will get a nice sharp snap when the lid is slid home. No wood or buttplate metal needs to be removed.

Do not do this!!! Make sure the box stops at the front of the inlet and file / sand the END of the box lid flush with the buttplate. Trying to do this the other way won't work since the spring won't fit properly.
Thank you, Jim.

Guys ya see what Mr. Kibler had to say about this situation.

"Do not do this!!!"

I don't want to pass on bad information.
I do apologize. I felt I covered all bases.
I will definitely look things over on my next build.

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred

Back