• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR. 40 cal. Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info Mike, would be very useful.
I like you buy a .40 cal. Flintlock, but struggling between a Kibler SMR or a Chambers York rifle
Wich barrel is a little more heavy I guess?
Hawkeye

I was in your shoes in October. I built my first flinter last winter, a Chamber's Edward Marshall in 54 cal. I decided to do a 40 this winter and was deciding between the Kibler and the Chambers York. I just did not see the SMR fitting me, so went with the Chambers again. They are more fun to make anyway, if you are into that. The Kibler would be little more than a weekend project. I got the York in early January and am in the final sanding stage about ready to hit it with Aqua Fortis...

I'm no expert, but here you go... Glad I took some pics, because I found a few areas that need attention before whiskering/staining.
20200317_081750.jpg

20200317_081810.jpg

The kibler rifle is a much easier kit to put 2gether, I've had both...For whatever reason, that skinny Rice A wt. barrel is extremely accurate, can't go wrong , in my opinion...in choosing the kibler kit over the chambers kit.
I'm a newbie to flintlocks and am in the final stage of finishing the .50 Cal. Kibler Colonial.Will be using iron nitrate stain and then Tried & True Oil finish. The CNC machining on the in-letting required very little tweaking to fit the hardware and Chambers lock. Jim's videos have been super helpful for someone who had never even owned a gun never-mind built one from a kit.
I'm learning a lot from you guys on this forum and look forward to connecting with BP shooters in the Nashville area.

Did some finishing work on it today, so I figured I'd post a few pics. Guys on the builders section see this stuff all the time and probably get tired of it...

First pic is after applying ferric nitrate solution, second pic is after blushing with heat gun (looked darker in person), third pic is after first coat of finish.
20200318_091200.jpg
20200318_094830.jpg
20200318_110650.jpg

I built the Kibler SMR in walnut and .45 caliber last May. I use it monthly in our local matches. Last fall at Friendship I placed first in the Flint offhand hunting rifle Marksman class with a score of 164 and third place in the long range silhouette. I would have won the long range silhouette but I had 5 hits that failed to topple some buffalos at 150 yards and bears at 200 and didn't count.
So the rifle is capable.
I shoot 65 grains of 3f Goex under a .440 ball patched with JoAnn's #40 cotton drill lubed with either moose milk or TOTW mink oil. For 50 yards and under I use 40 grains of Goex. I have shot offhand 5 shot groups at 50 yards of around 2 inches. So once again the rifle is more capable than my 64 year old eyes. Plus it feels so good to carry and shoulder.

While the silhouette targets are supposed to topple with a 45 caliber and 65 grains of powder, I have found that 90 grains of powder is more likely to make the bear fall.

It sounds as if the Kibler makes a fine rifle. Looks good and is on target accurate.

Back