• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler .32 Caliber SMR….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main concern is with such a long barrel in .32 caliber, in terms of ramrod, fouling, etc. I much prefer a hickory ramrod and that would be a long and narrow diameter one for sure. Add in some fouling and it might become a problem. Although I wipe between shots, or every forth shot max with my current.32, I’m mindful of the ramrod and am easy with it. I’m a hunter only so I only shoot hunting lube and loads.

Spit patches is out of the question.

My main concern is with such a long barrel in .32 caliber, in terms of ramrod, fouling, etc. I much prefer a hickory ramrod and that would be a long and narrow diameter one for sure. Add in some fouling and it might become a problem. Although I wipe between shots, or every forth shot max with my current.32, I’m mindful of the ramrod and am easy with it. I’m a hunter only so I only shoot hunting lube and loads.

I built a .32 many moons ago (a little Indian lingo) at least 30 years, maybe more I can not remember exactly, and have never used anything but the original hickory ramrod and spit patches. It kills squirrels with aplomb.

Use short strokes and that ramrod will last longer than you will.

I built a .32 many moons ago (a little Indian lingo) at least 30 years, maybe more I can not remember exactly, and have never used anything but the original hickory ramrod and spit patches. It kills squirrels with aplomb.

Use short strokes and that ramrod will last longer than you will.
Thanks, FC. No doubt, I carefully use a wooden ramrod. Spit patches are out because I sometimes leave the rifle loaded for a long time between shots. Sometimes a few days. I do want to try Spit patches sometime but I doubt it will be for hunting.

Running 30 grains I can shoot mine about 15 times with no issue with fouling using Schuetzen powder and a spit patch. I've shot 25 times without punching barrel using bore cleaner for patch lube. Note: I use .311 balls and a .015 patch so the load is not tight.

My personal belief is if you need a short starter your load is too tight (Unless you are a benchrest target shooter) and I agree with Etipp, if you are going to leave it loaded for a period use a lube not spit.

I also do not think spit dries out all that fast, after all it is in a metal tube that is closed on one end, where is the moisture going to go?

I have a 36 that I love and don't really think you can go wrong either way. Something to consider is, when you're out hunting and those hands start to get cold and frozen, those smaller round balls are a bit tougher to handle and load.

For my .32 SMR I purchased #1-1/2 Super Buck Shot (.310) from Ballistic Products. An eight-pound jar contains 1280 balls. I bought two jars when they had a free shipping sale. All in all, I found this to be an inexpensive way to go. They also have the 000 buckshot for the same price, but you only get 800 balls in an eight-pound jar.
Isn’t the buckshot too hard? It says it is hardened to not distort when going down the barrel of a shotgun.
Have you had any noticeable problems which it being too hard?

I have a 36 that I love and don't really think you can go wrong either way. Something to consider is, when you're out hunting and those hands start to get cold and frozen, those smaller round balls are a bit tougher to handle and load.
2 words make the small ball loading in winter weather easy - Loading block.

Isn’t the buckshot too hard? It says it is hardened to not distort when going down the barrel of a shotgun.
Have you had any noticeable problems which it being too hard?
I have not noticed a problem.
I shoot mine with 30 grains of 3F, and a .015 spit patch. I use my knife handle to push the ball flush with the muzzle and cut. Then push the ball home with the ramrod.
My thumbnail will make a mark in the Ballistic shot that is about the same as the mark in the Hornady .310 lead round balls which I paid $11.75 per 100.
Ballistic $43.99 per 1,280.
It is entirely up to you what you use, but I am not worried about it. But then my wife says I don't worry about anything.

For my .32 SMR I purchased #1-1/2 Super Buck Shot (.310) from Ballistic Products. An eight-pound jar contains 1280 balls. I bought two jars when they had a free shipping sale. All in all, I found this to be an inexpensive way to go. They also have the 000 buckshot for the same price, but you only get 800 balls in an eight-pound jar.
linkage:
Super Buck Lead #1-1/2 (8 lb/jar) .310

Indeed. I noticed a considerable difference between the damage done to a squirrel between .20 grains of 3F and .30 grains of 3F. So much so that I went back down to 20 grains. Now using 15 grains of Swiss but it has not been field tested.

I’ll certainly take a head shot if the situation happens to be presented. But the fact is, that doesn’t happen very often. With my old and damaged eye’s, I’m lucky to hit a squirrel anywhere. Fancy shooting days are over.

I really like A .32 for my hunting style, as well as my hunting grounds. But I’m not against moving up to a .36 IF the benefits are there.

ETipp, I believe both you and I share similar opinions when it comes to the .32 & .36. My best load for my .32 SMR so far is 20 grains of Swiss 3F although the tiny caliber seems to shoot very well with about any load I pour into the bore. My experience so far indicates that the .32 and .36 can give equal accuracy with the same or nearly the same loads. The primary (and maybe the only) advantage of the .36 over the .32 is the 18- 20 (+ or -) grain heavier ball. Either one is still a dandy woods companion and an unbeatable small game caliber.

As far as any fouling issue is concerned I've never had one and I've been shooting a .32 for a long time. It's probably because I shoot tight loads which "clean" the bore each time a prb is seated. I shoot a .311" ball with a .024" canvas patch. Since I no longer hunt I lube with Hoppes BP Lube; TOW mink oil was the hunting lube for the woods. I'd much rather shoot than wipe the bore.

As far as any fouling issue is concerned I've never had one and I've been shooting a .32 for a long time. It's probably because I shoot tight loads which "clean" the bore each time a prb is seated. I shoot a .311" ball with a .024" canvas patch. Since I no longer hunt I lube with Hoppes BP Lube; TOW mink oil was the hunting lube for the woods. I'd much rather shoot than wipe the bore.
You might be onto something, Hanshi.

As of now with my Crockett, I’m using .310 and .015 patches lubed with TOTW Mink oil. I tried a .018 patch one shot only but it was a pretty darn tight fit in a clean barrel. Therefore I never went any farther with the testing.

So, perhaps I should test this a little more at home to see if there’s any appreciable difference in accuracy. The last thing I need is problems up in the mountains.

ETipp, I believe both you and I share similar opinions when it comes to the .32 & .36. My best load for my .32 SMR so far is 20 grains of Swiss 3F although the tiny caliber seems to shoot very well with about any load I pour into the bore. My experience so far indicates that the .32 and .36 can give equal accuracy with the same or nearly the same loads. The primary (and maybe the only) advantage of the .36 over the .32 is the 18- 20 (+ or -) grain heavier ball. Either one is still a dandy woods companion and an unbeatable small game caliber.
Thank you again.

I really like my .32 but it’s the only one I have experience with. Whereas I have zero experience with a .36 rifle, only a pistol.

Not much for squirrels around here, so I can hardly wait until you get your new .32 smr and start putting the drop on them, with your stories to follow.

You have a .32 Crockett. Get the .36, you don't need two .32 IMHO. The poor ol Crockett is likely to become the ugly stepchild anyway, keep it. The .36 will be a better rifle for coyotes, foxes etc should the need arise, and you shoot those critters. Get what ya want though, I got a .40 for small deer down to tree rats and because I didn't have one.

Back