• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler .32 Caliber SMR….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have always wanted a 32, but i know they get a little heavy. and i know they will blow a squirrel up as bad as a 36, so i built a lighter in weight 36 instead. but i may get a 32 one day.
36 sq.jpg

My 32 is 100 percent my go to 25 yard match gun. 20 grains 3f and a .311 ball with .015 spit patch. I can up it to 30 grains and hit steel targets hard enough to make they sing and wiggle at 75 yards on woodswalk. Its sighted in to hit 1" high for a percent 6 o'clock hold

Last edited:
I love my .32 SMR - fun and inexpensive to shoot, no recoil, and very accurate. Some of my friends don't like to shoot the longer barrel offhand, but I like long barrels! This is one of the first targets I shot
at 25 yards offhand after completing the rifle. The little .32 is harder to shoot at 100 yards, especially if it is windy!

Kibler SMR 25 yd OH group.jpgSMR 2022.jpg

I really don't think you will find any fault in one for squirrel hunting. I personally feel the caliber choice makes little difference for what you’re looking to do. You will be successful with any of them.
Thanks Salty. Much appreciated.

I much prefer a .32 for squirrel hunting. My Crockett has proven it’s all I need. However, if there’s any benefit to a .36 over a .32 with a Kibler, then I’m willing to hear it.

I killed enough squirrels with a Crockett years ago to convince myself it doesn't make a mess of small game. I have both a .32 SMR and a .36 SMR but no longer hunt small or large game. There are two things that govern whether or not your rifle is a grenade launcher or a laser: the load and where you hit them. I've used up to 30 grains of 3F in the .32 with no more damage than a .22LR. Stay away from hits to the hindquarters and the shoulders and you're okay with either the .32 or .36. Don't scat that ball out of the muzzle too fast (1200 fps + or - should be somewhere around max) with sub 1000 fps being good in the dense woods. I've used the .45 and .58 and even hot loads won't be out of control when placed just right. Hit wrong and there's nothing to take home.

Thanks Salty. Much appreciated.

I much prefer a .32 for squirrel hunting. My Crockett has proven it’s all I need. However, if there’s any benefit to a .36 over a .32 with a Kibler, then I’m willing to hear it.
Only difference you will notice between a 32 and 36 Kibler is some weight obviously the 36 is lighter. I handled both and own ever caliber but 36. Nothing against it I just haven't bought one "YET".

I killed enough squirrels with a Crockett years ago to convince myself it doesn't make a mess of small game. I have both a .32 SMR and a .36 SMR but no longer hunt small or large game. There are two things that govern whether or not your rifle is a grenade launcher or a laser: the load and where you hit them. I've used up to 30 grains of 3F in the .32 with no more damage than a .22LR. Stay away from hits to the hindquarters and the shoulders and you're okay with either the .32 or .36. Don't scat that ball out of the muzzle too fast (1200 fps + or - should be somewhere around max) with sub 1000 fps being good in the dense woods. I've used the .45 and .58 and even hot loads won't be out of control when placed just right. Hit wrong and there's nothing to take home.
Indeed. I noticed a considerable difference between the damage done to a squirrel between .20 grains of 3F and .30 grains of 3F. So much so that I went back down to 20 grains. Now using 15 grains of Swiss but it has not been field tested.

I’ll certainly take a head shot if the situation happens to be presented. But the fact is, that doesn’t happen very often. With my old and damaged eye’s, I’m lucky to hit a squirrel anywhere. Fancy shooting days are over.

I really like A .32 for my hunting style, as well as my hunting grounds. But I’m not against moving up to a .36 IF the benefits are there.

Only difference you will notice between a 32 and 36 Kibler is some weight obviously the 36 is lighter. I handled both and own ever caliber but 36. Nothing against it I just haven't bought one "YET".
From the information I have pulled up, there's only 3 ounces difference between the .32 and .36 caliber Kibler SMR. I doubt I would notice 3 ounces.

I now use a loading block. I have learned that it helps a lot with handling the tiny .310 RB in the woods with numb and/or cold fingers.

I have read where the .32 is more prone to wind interference than the .36 and so far, that's the only appreciable difference I'm finding. And even that is not an issue because I don't squirrel hunt during windy days.

So, I'm still looking for any good reason (benefits) to choose the .36 over the .32 caliber. If there's any real benefits, I will surely take them into consideration.

I don't have one. and I am a big fan of 32 and am constantly fighting the urge to bet a SMR. the 36 will be a tad lighter, buck the wind a little better. the only big advantage is if a person doesn't cast. the 36 can be fed with 000 Hornady buckshot. which would be cheaper than buying .310 roundballs.

For my .32 SMR I purchased #1-1/2 Super Buck Shot (.310) from Ballistic Products. An eight-pound jar contains 1280 balls. I bought two jars when they had a free shipping sale. All in all, I found this to be an inexpensive way to go. They also have the 000 buckshot for the same price, but you only get 800 balls in an eight-pound jar.

The .32 is basically restricted to squirrels and pests. The .36 I believe is wider, including in distance. As the shooting pleasure of both is equal, I would go with the .36 as it has an added bonus. In fact, it’s good to have both, isn’t it! 😃

From the information I have pulled up, there's only 3 ounces difference between the .32 and .36 caliber Kibler SMR. I doubt I would notice 3 ounces.

I now use a loading block. I have learned that it helps a lot with handling the tiny .310 RB in the woods with numb and/or cold fingers.

I have read where the .32 is more prone to wind interference than the .36 and so far, that's the only appreciable difference I'm finding. And even that is not an issue because I don't squirrel hunt during windy days.

So, I'm still looking for any good reason (benefits) to choose the .36 over the .32 caliber. If there's any real benefits, I will surely take them into consideration.
I would agree that the weight is negligible between the calibers. I'd bet you can find bigger variances in weight in two rifles of the same caliber with density and type of wood. You're gonna love hunting with this rifle regardless which caliber you choose.

I love mine,(32). It's just great fun to shoot. One reason I got a 32 smr. Is, there arn 't Manny Flintlocks in 32 availability. It's easy to find 36's. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I would agree that the weight is negligible between the calibers. I'd bet you can find bigger variances in weight in two rifles of the same caliber with density and type of wood. You're gonna love hunting with this rifle regardless which caliber you choose.
Thank you, Salty. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back