• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Surprise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Our club has a BP shoot, once a month. I usually shoot my flintlock rifle, as do most of the shooters. However, we do have a few cap lock guys, and that's okay, we want to keep up good attendance and keep the interest going.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to throw a little surprise on them, and so I took my Renegade .62 smoothbore. They were trying to shoot a balloon that was tied to a stick and the wind was blowing it all around. I ask the director if I could use a smoothbore, he said "Yes", then caught himself and said, "Heck no". But they took a little break and I showed them what the business end of a smoothbore was all about. I took out the balloon and the stack.

Might be seeing some fowlers, pretty soon. Probably with flint locks.

A lot easier to hit than using a flintlock rifle.

They also had a piece of PVC pipe, with the end facing forward, and behind it was an orange Styrofoam ball. The object was to shoot through the pipe and only hit the ball. They wouldn't let me shoot it with the smooth bore. First shooter up, got it, anyway.

Our leader, at our matches is always coming up with reactive targets, just to keep the shooting interesting. Who knows, maybe one day we have enough smooth bores, to turn that into part of the shoot. Meanwhile I'll keep entertaining them with my gun.

Wow, interesting concept. Got my doubts I'd come even close.

But back in the 80's I did try the old split the ball with he axe and break the two clay pigeons trick. Using my Japanese Brown Bess, by-golly I did it the first time! First and last time, I left on a high note, haven't tried it again since. :grin:

Smoothies have gained quite a following here in my part of michigan,there are smoothbore shooters at most blanket shoots and such all the time .some clubs score seperate , but ive seen them take first place quite a few times.

Latest posts

Back