• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

16 Ga. single with a 1 OZ. slug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When my state finally set a ML deer season, single shot smoothbores only were required. I have an old 16 ga. percussion in excellent condition and decided to try it for deer. I took 12 ga. cast hollow base foster slugs and rolled them between two heavy steel plates miking them as i went to get them to just below bore diameter. A16 Ga plastic wad with the petals cut off on top of a 3 dram load of 2F and a light 1/8 wad held everything as it should be. Yes, I tested it tied into an old car tire first! It would shoot 3 inch groups at 30 yards and I went hunting. I wish I could say I killed a deer with it but no luck that year and I bought a smoothbore .56 Renegade to hunt with the following year and bought a .54 barrel for it when rifling became legal here. I still have the fine 16 ga single and will try it with an ounce of #6 on pheasants this year. It seems I'm progressing backwards but that beautiful smoothbore is so light and handy, I have to try it. You CAN use a real antique if you are very careful working up loads and not try to magnumize them. The FUN level is worth the effort.

As you stated when shooting older guns don't use maximum loads and you can get a lot of use out of them. My oldest boy still uses his Bavarian Leader made in the 1880's

Back