• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore or Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide on a build, What I had in mind was a .45 rifle or a 20ga Fusil. I have a Pedersoli 10ga double barrel so I don’t really need a smoothbore as much as a rifle. What is everyone’s recommendations

I was strictly rifles back when I was young, strong, and had great eyes. As the years passed, I found smoothbores becoming more interesting. While a lot of powder still gets burned in my rifled guns, smoothbores account for a lot more of my shooting nowadays. That may not mirror everyone's experience, but that's been mine. If you've already got a 10ga, the rifle makes a lot of sense and I don't think you'll go wrong with a .45 cal.

I was strictly rifles back when I was young, strong, and had great eyes. As the years passed, I found smoothbores becoming more interesting. While a lot of powder still gets burned in my rifled guns, smoothbores account for a lot more of my shooting nowadays. That may not mirror everyone's experience, but that's been mine. If you've already got a 10ga, the rifle makes a lot of sense and I don't think you'll go wrong with a .45 cal.

My eyes are not as good as they should be, even with glasses they’re not the best, sighting a rifle isn’t as easy as it should be

Should you decide on a rifle may I suggest a larger caliber than .45 - I own two .45's, a .50 and a .54 and the larger caliber rifle handles easier, holds and points easier than either of my .45's (bigger hole = less metal in the barrel). I'm sure all the more experienced muzzle loader folks already knew that but it took me a year of shooting to finally figure that out for myself!

I’m trying to decide on a build, What I had in mind was a .45 rifle or a 20ga Fusil. I have a Pedersoli 10ga double barrel so I don’t really need a smoothbore as much as a rifle. What is everyone’s recommendations
You need both. Sell that double with the weird ignition system and get a flint lock rifle AND a fowling piece. You won't regret doing it.
Dan

I went through the same decision making problem as you, finally took the jump into another rifle, but I do have a smooth rifle. What made my decision was that I no longer hunt so target shooting is it.

Depends on if you want to shoot at something or to hit something. Rifles are for placing the point of impact. Sights can be made to allow most any eye to do good work.

Curiously, I am currently looking for a nice 20 gauge smoothie to add to the collection, but am working with a couple (OK, three) .45 caliber rifles. I have mostly shot .50 and .54 caliber rifles over the years but have had a .45 Mountain Rifle for a long time I have never shot. I recently picked up a custom .45 flintlock, a .45 barrel for my T/C Hawken, and a .440 RB mold. All that to say I am personally scratching a .45 front-stuffer itch so might be biased to recommend such.

Depends on if you want to shoot at something or to hit something. Rifles are for placing the point of impact. Sights can be made to allow most any eye to do good work.
Depends on your target. X needs a rifle. Deer elk squirrel are DRT with a smoothbore in range. A two inch group won’t get a ribbon at the Nationals but a four inch group puts meat in your bowl.

Depends on your target. X needs a rifle. Deer elk squirrel are DRT with a smoothbore in range. A two inch group won’t get a ribbon at the Nationals but a four inch group puts meat in your bowl.
I do living history me my smooth rifle, shoots a tad bit better then my TFC and has bought me a dinner or two

I don’t really intend to target shoot with it, mostly hunting and living history.

Back