• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is an information highway site.. we don't need to clutter it up with same topics and questions. use the search feature. no thread drifting or Tom foolery.

I seen it nuke a forum before. Never came back gone

OK, so the answer I gave was w/o Skycheif.

Skycheif ya put yer wad (thick) over the powder (some use 1, 2 4 or however many) thin cards instead. Then the shot then the soaked narly oilsoaked wad in last. I always put a reg thin over shot card in before the oil soaked wad myself. Use Skycheif as a base and experiment, each gun different. MOST like the system though.
Yeah, the original Skychief had the thin card over the shot, before the oiled cushion wad too... I tried it without, the results were interesting. The pattern was more even than my regular load of powder, thin card, lubed wading (felt or tow), shot, two thin cards,,,, but wasn't as dense as the prescribed Skychief with thin card between shot and lubed cushion wad.

Edit: also,, I meant to say, "note the topic," didn't mean, "not the topic," my apologies.

There a sticky up on this?
A couple.

Edit: this sticky link here in the Smoothbore Section,
Screenshot_20240402_201227.jpg

Will take you to this sticky in the Hunting Section,
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/skychief-smoothbore-load-recipe.113195/

Last edited:
I still interested in shot buffer ideas?

Crushed hot Pepper. Make it Sicilian

The stuff you buy is plastic?

I still interested in shot buffer ideas?

Crushed hot Pepper. Make it Sicilian

The stuff you buy is plastic?
I've read of folks using corn muffin mix to good effect,,, with regular shot loads. Somehow better than just straight up corn meal or corn flower...
If you are "still interested," maybe post a separate question on buffered shot loads here in the smoothbore section?
Always good to see a new topic come up.

this is an information highway site.. we don't need to clutter it up with same topics and questions. use the search feature. no thread drifting or Tom foolery.

I seen it nuke a forum before. Never came back gone
Read it and tired of it, move on by. New members here all the time don't need a guy to tell them to look it up themselves. The search feature here is not the greatest and many have a hard enough time just finding the site. Some of us here are happy to answer as asked. Also, believe it or not, once in a while a new guy posts something YOU NEVER HEARD BEFORE that could save ya time and money. Same ol Question and Dont like it? click next.

Last edited:
I'll be using #5 shot in my Skychief load because I have more than 10 pounds of #5's. 5 shot should be fine for turkey. I once took a turkey and when cleaning the turkey, it was peppered under his skin all over one side with lots of small shot. None of it went deeper than under the skin. It was either 6's or 7 1/2's as the shot pellets were pretty small.
shot 5s.JPG

Ohio Rusty ><>

I prefer #4 shot for turkey, but wouldn’t hesitate to #5. Unfortunately I have neither at this time. I made a stupid mistake a couple of months ago on my last Roto Metals order. They had a sale on #4 shot at 50lbs/$49.95, I jumped on it. Wasn’t until I was looking at the tracking info for the order that I saw 50lbs of STEEL shot!!!!! My reading comprehension has suffered in the last few years.

I prefer #4 shot for turkey, but wouldn’t hesitate to #5. Unfortunately I have neither at this time. I made a stupid mistake a couple of months ago on my last Roto Metals order. They had a sale on #4 shot at 50lbs/$49.95, I jumped on it. Wasn’t until I was looking at the tracking info for the order that I saw 50lbs of STEEL shot!!!!! My reading comprehension has suffered in the last few years.
Oh no!

I'll be using #5 shot in my Skychief load because I have more than 10 pounds of #5's. 5 shot should be fine for turkey. I once took a turkey and when cleaning the turkey, it was peppered under his skin all over one side with lots of small shot. None of it went deeper than under the skin. It was either 6's or 7 1/2's as the shot pellets were pretty small.
View attachment 309341
Ohio Rusty ><>
#5’s is what I use in all 3 of my smoothbores. Kills turkeys dead.

Back