• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without the sky chief or choke... they're like 10 15 yard guns for turkey..

Havnt tried skychief but it sounds like a traffic jam goes on... the shot is pushed by the charge into the fat heavey wad sandwich everything tight...
Well first time carrying my smoothie last spring I shot 2 birds one at 30 and the other at 25 yds. Did the job and I used the skychief load which gave much tighter groups than using standard loadings.

A 90 year old friend used to tape clear glass microscope slides over the sensors of his chronograph when shooting black powder. He also tested penetration on steel tin cans out to projected hunting range. That Garmin Xero C1 - what is the price?

Today I sanded down a dowel to use as a mandrel to make paper shot cups to fit my 28 gauge smoothbore for my Skychief loads I'm getting ready to test soon. That shot charge is 1 & 1/8th. I'm going to start with 75 grains of 2F and that charge weight of shot for a starter load to see how it patterns. I can easily drop the powder to 70 grains or up the shot weight to 1 & 1/4 for testing to get the best pattern.
Skychief.JPG

I looked them up.....600 bux.....that's more than I want to spend right now on some
Numbers
I'm in that camp too. Mine is about 30 years old now and I'm looking to replace it. I need the old style with screens since I use it more to chronograph bows more than anything.

Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph, < $100 or if using for archery indoors, the ‘premium’ kit w/ the infra-red lamps work slizk, @ ~$140.

Bulletproof, well until you put a bullet through it, but it couples to your iPhone via an app. Zero issues for any BP use, at least by my experience.

I was trying to find... a ballistic chart or online calculator for Shotgun load...

I wonder how much less you can down the load... like a max and min load to weight shot..

I guess most these birds don't need 1000fps to fold.... good shot with a daisy did it... that s 350fps@?

That's probably the nicer chart I've found...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-170828.png
    Screenshot_20220102-170828.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm in that camp too. Mine is about 30 years old now and I'm looking to replace it. I need the old style with screens since I use it more to chronograph bows more than anything.
Exacly....that's why I got mine for my longbow
My first tradition kill at 20yds

Attachments

• 20230826_145645.jpg
    20230826_145645.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_195011.jpg
    20230821_195011.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221124-181830_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124-181830_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was shooting 70gr 2f swiss with 1 3/8 #7.5 shot killing doves between 30 and 40yds.
Swiss is a hot powder and their 2f is like other brands 3f

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_023834_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_023834_Messenger.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The old timer I hunt with. Uses a 20ga modern... I can tell what birds he got. Find more shot penetrated etc...

I shot close Pheasant and a few 25 maybe a 30 yarder.

70grn 1.5 #6.... I guess it's 900fps out the muzzle.

I don't find lead in the birds meat much at all. Maybe a couple bumps and you pop the bb out... they get that daisy pinched and the dog finishes them

I have a question on shot size. I suppose #7 or # 8 would be fine for squirrels or most airborne species.
For Turkey , rabbit and the like it seems that most prefer any thing between # 4 and # 6.
Also views on measured as opposed to square loads.
Currently I would be using in a Fusil de Chasse .62/20 ga.

I have a question on shot size. I suppose #7 or # 8 would be fine for squirrels or most airborne species.
For Turkey , rabbit and the like it seems that most prefer any thing between # 4 and # 6.
Check your state laws for Turkey loads. Some are specific on shot size.

Squirrels take more killing than many might think. Think of some of the falls from trees and motorvehicle encounters they survive.
I like #5 for most everything except small birds, like grouse (#6s), or quail (#7 1/2s). Rabbits are pretty weak too so #6 is fine.
But if I could get a good dense pattern of #4s for turkeys, squirrels, and pheasants I would use #4.
I like the largest size shot I can get a good pattern from generally. It takes less pellets to do the job with bigger shot, which equates to less shot in one's game.

Latest posts

Back