• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Balls & Fiber Wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m going to start experimenting with fiber wads for shot in my trade gun, especially the world famous Skychief load.

But I like to carry a few round balls in my pouch as well. Can round balls be shot with fiber wads and cards? How is the accuracy?

Thanks!

There was a guy at a club shooting his smoothie that way one time, that's the first I had seen anyone do that..he says it was the method that shot the best for him.
I always patch balls in my smoothbores. I never shot paper and wished for better accuracy

Thanks guys. How does it compare to patched ball in a smoothbore?
Every gun is different, especially smoothies. You have to experiment to find wat works best for you. FWIW: I used a prb in my Brown Bess. Even had it challenged at a match to verify it was not rifled.

PRB at 50 yards and wadded with tow, patch a little better, but would do in a deer, or make points on a woods walk
IMG_1602.jpeg

I have heard of people using fiber wads with good results. I have also tried them myself. You don't have to worry about high pressure with a flint gun.

Latest posts

Back