• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Again, I’m not referring to shooting, reload and shoot again in a relatively short period of time."

This is exactly the type of shooting I was referring to. As far as hunting goes, I've had about as much luck with one as the other. I would say that a caplock is probably easier to keep moisture resistant.
Understand. Thank you for the information

I’d also add this. Go ahead and get a flintlock. Percussion guns are fun but flintlocks are on a whole different level of fun. And it’s not that hard to keep a flintlock up and running, just different.

When you take that first squirrel with a flintlock, you’ll see what I mean.

I know you don’t want this thread to become a this vs that discussion and I’m not trying to go that way either. But I have found that priming a pan is easier than capping a nipple in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents.
I’d also add this. Go ahead and get a flintlock. Percussion guns are fun but flintlocks are on a whole different level of fun. And it’s not that hard to keep a flintlock up and running, just different.

I know you don’t want this thread to become a this vs that discussion and I’m not trying to go that way either. But I have found that priming a pan is easier than capping a nipple in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents.
I’m actually looking forward to getting a flintlock. Just wanting information.

The reason why I want one is to take my squirrel hunting to the maximum level.

The Scotsman whom invented the percussion cap was a duck hunter. Could it be at one time in disgust he cried out...."aye I am so sick of missing Ducks and wet pans"....?
Do you know what he yelled after ."aye I am so sick of missing Ducks and wet pans"....??? Well, he said “I must do better” and tarraaah…the percussion cap was born!!! (Or so history claims as there were a couple of stillborns in France and the US I believe!)

Sorry if this was already posted I got lost with so many pages.
There are a few styles of pans on Locks that would also help keep good ignition in the rain.
L&R makes an English Flintlock with the roller frizzen with a tear shaped "waterproof" pan.
The Chambers early English lock has a frizzen that fits over a lip around the pan to make the pan more waterproof.
A good lock some lip balm, beeswax or bear grease and a cow's knee and a clear head, you should be good.

Just my 2 cents.
Most gun cabinets have room for a flintlock AND and percussion rifle. The best long term decision is one of each (at least).

@Banjoman, that was the theory that the Manton lock had a waterproof pan. In practice, the pan was approximately water resistant.

Thank you. That’s interesting. Does “approximately water resistant “ mean they were no more water resistant than other flintlocks of the time or was his idea actually an improvement?

So far this non flintlock shooter who aspires to has a question 🤔. After considering the solutions and methods suggested I'm inclined to favor waterproofing around the pan with some sort of sealant. Suggested has been crayons, patch lube, chapstick and some that aren't coming to mind.

Here's my "simple question"; will that method tend to glue the frizzen and pan together? Would the flint strike possibly fail to pop the frizzen open?

Now you've insulted Spam! :eek:

That's pretty much the last straw. When I do well I celebrate with Spam. 😀
On a bet I made up some smoked “burnt ends” of spam alongside my normal pork belly burnt ends. The ladies loved the spam version and the men were more impressed with pork belly… just my science based two cents.

Forgive me if someone already raised this point, but only within the Muzzleloading community can someone raise a “simple question “ and garner 125+ posts over 7 pages.
Nah, you should see the motorcycle forums. Check out a “which oil” thread or two…

@Grenadier1758 said, “ @Banjoman, that was the theory that the Manton lock had a waterproof pan. In practice, the pan was approximately water resistant.”

I really liked the double coach gun with the drain exiting in front of the triggers. There’s a clever man. Not sure it actually worked but he apparently never stopped thinking…

I will hunt, and have hunted, in a light rain with my flintlocks. The guns have never failed to fire; and one one of those drizzly days I did take a deer. I use a greased lock cover, and carry the arm with the covered lock under my armpit, under my capot, with the barrel always sloping down. I also change the priming at least every hour. And I often seek the cover of a nice big tree.

When it's raining more steadily, I do what I imagine my ancestors would have done. Stay in, stay dry, and don't risk illness.

I wouldn't participate in a shoot in the rain. The more you expose your gun to it, the more chance you have of problems. And just standing around in the rain has never appealed to me... no matter what I'm doing.
Exactly ....well said ....

First, to the OP:
I have a flinter but have never attempted shooting in the rain. If I were to hunt in that situation, I would either consider using my caplock, or keeping my flinter as waterproof as possible with a cow's knee until ready to shoot. If squirrel hunting, if you do have a misfire, not the end of the world. It's not like you wasted a once- in-a-lifetime elk tag. You will surely find out what works and what doesn't in practice.
Second, WRT to 'road rage' stirred up by the OP's audacity to ask a question...are questions against the rules now? Should we do away with the search bar? Is it more 'manly' to spend a lot of time searching for the answers on the forums or Google because we don't want to offend someone by asking a 'stupid' question?
Seriously?

Back