• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, great care must be taken to get a flintlock to fire after hours out in the rain. 1) keep the lock area covered. 2) use 3F or 2F for priming. 3) consider not priming till you’re ready to shoot. 4) if you’re going to keep the pan primed, check it every hour.

Alternatively, prime it and drip candle wax all over the seams of the pan and pan cover.

I’m sure some have better luck than I do. Maybe they sit still or it doesn’t really pour down on them.

Only if the flintlock user, knows he's using a flint lock.
Have you in any way considered history?
Have you in any way considered the use of historical documentation before you asked?
Or are we all supposed to respond to your 2024 ask?
I'm sorry, honest question,, It's 17th century technology used in 2024.
Is your question the inconvenience of (?) Or actual use?
The actual use has been documented for 400 yrs.

So you would rather someone do research going back hundreds of years than to ask a simple question on here from experienced flintlock shooters with today’s flintlocks.

Relax, you don’t have to be a miserable rude jerk every day of your life.

In my experience, great care must be taken to get a flintlock to fire after hours out in the rain. 1) keep the lock area covered. 2) use 3F or 2F for priming. 3) consider not priming till you’re ready to shoot. 4) if you’re going to keep the pan primed, check it every hour.

Alternatively, prime it and drip candle wax all over the seams of the pan and pan cover.

I’m sure some have better luck than I do. Maybe they sit still or it doesn’t really pour down on them.
That’s what I was thinking. I often hunt in the rain with my percussions. Only one time did I have a misfire. But it was pouring down rain.

I’m looking into perhaps getting a SMR flintlock for hunting squirrels but as I have said, I sometimes hunt in the rain. This is a very humid climate here as well.

Thanks for the reply.

The simple question wasn't answered in this topic. Only repeated.
Flintlock care, is related to the individual his/her,, on that day.
movies/videos,, won't change that day. How to "care for" has been here for many-many years.

"miserable rude jerk" might just get one person to grasp the concept that it ain't a you-tube, about how cool you can do it.

it's get up saturday morning walk out the tent and actually do it., prove it, been there,, seen the fails, seen the success,, I know what they did to have that success,, I have seen what fails.
And somehow I am the miserable rude jerk?
Honest @ETipp , give us another shared link to a successful "staged" YouTube video.
that will prove your experience to us all..
😂

I would hate to be as rude and miserable as you are.

By the way, I didn’t post a YouTube link. 😁

Last edited:
I would hate
yeah, I got that part. So does everyone else.
Lord? I ask that understanding of your care can be found here,
I apologize to all that I have offended.
May your blessings help guide us as we move forward in our lives in your name.
Please Lord, help me understand how I have offended, guide me with your mercy as I live

Last edited:
Not going in the fields or woods when it's miserable wet. That said, I will go in a marsh blind or boat for waterfowl. Would not take a flinter. Hiding under a poncho to reload a double is misery enough with percussion caps. Expecting reliability from a flinter in those circumstances is .....words fail me.

Honest @ETipp , give us another shared link to a successful "staged" YouTube video.
that will prove your experience to us all..
maxresdefault.jpg

so it is written so it shall be done.........

so it is written so it shall be done.........
Not really @kyron4 ,, it's just that so many believe it is.
And you help share the concept.
I mean honest, if you can't or don't understand how to post a bias video that uses editing prior to the post/save to youtube.?
You can't grasp the sophomore concept of acquired viewing of paid youtube marketing that saturates "experience"??
I had striking a steel and getting flame in 2.2,, before www.
I have 1 youtube video. it show's how to R an R a T/C lock coil spring, in and out and back in 5.7
It has been posted here about 45 times.
But, after all that.
Others still share how to make a tool to remove that spring, how proud they are to have made that tool and how important it is to make and use a tool to remove that spring.
Doesn't matter doe's it? my vid wasn't "entertaining". it just showed a needle-nose pliers taking/doing the task in/out twice with full lock function in 5.7?

But you guy's all need your phone linked and notifications set. Just so when ya wake up to pee and look at it,, you can link another searched for share for benign response

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back