• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wind and Blackpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some Governnent gun locks did have a flash shield provision , British ones at least but if your worried about primeing getting blown away or soaked maybe just plug the vent with a feather quill as I do if its inclement weather .I think the wire loops found on some original guns are for feather quills if there is no cheak piece I drill three holes and put quills .in them suited to my vent . But I used to go week at a time in wet forests allways loaded .but if its dry then no such is needed .
Rudyard

Some Governnent gun locks did have a flash shield provision , British ones at least . . .
I would be interested in seeing that information. Some Spanish had a provision as did many snaphaunce but the purpose was not the same as what has been required by park service. The modern flash guard rules result in more dangerous firing while claiming they are required in the name of safety.

I would be interested in seeing that information. Some Spanish had a provision as did many snaphaunce but the purpose was not the same as what has been required by park service. The modern flash guard rules result in more dangerous firing while claiming they are required in the name of safety.
Well Nock made a few with these built in Flask Sheilds And I seem to remember Harcourts heavy dragoon carbines had them .But while the modern flash shields might be unauthentic they do have the virtue of avoiding the chum next to you getting your vent blasts .Not that that seemed to be considered generally in service, I wasn't there but Ime sure they didn't mess with quills however useful to the hunter in wet climes . I suppose they had enough to worry about in action & probably just leveled and shut their eyes .Rudyard

Curious as how the modern flash guard is more dangerous, please expound.

As per NPS rules 4f powder is not allowed and 2f must be used for priming powder. Should their rules be completely obeyed the flash guard redirects the slower burning powder up and over a far greater distance than 4f with no flash guard. I ran a series of photographs demonstrating this but I don't have access to them now. The often installed flash guards on unbridled locks result in a less reliable lock.

It is my opinion a gun with a greater chance of misfire is more dangerous than a more reliable gun especially when shooting with others.

The flash guard also directs the flash down. Once when firing (blanks) with two lines, the first line kneeling. We set the tassel on the top of the miter (hat) of one of the first line on fire from the flash directed downward.

Back in the early 1970's , when we first hunting in the Pa. late deer season from Dec. 26 to Jan 15th , I didn't know the importance of protecting a flint lock from damp. I was out in a surprise ice storm , had just eaten a partially frozen sandwich , and remembered my plastic lunch bag . Used it to cover my lock with good success. Changed my primer powder every hour , as well , and at the end of an unsuccessful day's hunt , the rifle fired perfectly , when I shot into the ground to unload it. Lesson learned.
The only time in my hunting career , where the weather defeated me concerning my gun's ability to do what I required was , when we decided to hunt with a blizzard comming starting at noon. Deer go to yarding areas , when the weather gets terrible. I went to one of those spots , and waited for deer to begin coming down off the hill tops to shelter from the storm. Soon after the blizzard hit , deer began filtering into the sheltered area , but to my dismay , I knew my lock would fire , but , who knew? , it was snowing so fast and furiously , I couldn't see my sights. Deer everywhere , and no way to get an accurate shot off. Dang , saw near 100 deer that day , quit early , and went to the Pub out of the storm to relive the day with my hunting buddy. Alls well that ends well..........oldwood

if it is raining that hard! i am staying home! i don't have that much against a critter to want to kill him that bad! :)
I always loved hunting deer in the rain. I always killed my biggest bucks then. It helps keep down scent, and makes cover noise. The bucks don't seem to be as alert.

Still hunting white tail deer in the Pa. late flint season , is best , when weather dumbs down a deer's senses. I could write 20 or 30 stories on this type hunting , where I killed deer that were nearly disarmed by deep snow , high winds , rain , and ice storms. Only one time did my flint lock fail to fire , in a blizzard. The most unusual hunt , was one time at day break in a steady 45 mph. wind storm , after a 6 "snow fall followed by an inch of ice on top , making the crust of ice hard enough to walk on w/o breaking the ice. . We jumped a herd of 20 deer bedded along a logging road that ran up through a hollow. The four I elected to chase went left into the wind up hill then hooked back along the top of the rise and bedded down in a maple poll thicket. My stalking speed , slowed down to a half step sort of skuffing my boots along noiselessly. After about 45 mins. , and covering 200 yds. , I was amazed to see the four deer bedded. The wind was shreaking through the woods covering any noise my creeping made. Another 15 mins. , brought me to 20 ft. from the first sleeping deer. My thoughts at that moment , told me to pick the largest of the sleeping animals , since this was a meat hunt. Naturally , the largest of the four was the fartherest away. A 20 yd. shot from my .62 Jaegar , the deer stood , then fell over. This was the strangest hunt , due to the high winds causing the deer's senses to be shut down. ..............oldwood

Back