• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two simple questions. :)

How many shots on average do most of you flintlock fellas get from each flint?

How many shots on average do you get before you have to adjust it or tinker with it to keep it going?

How many shots on average do you get before you have to adjust it or tinker with it to keep it going?
On this india lock I tuned it was 100 shots without cleaning/knapping. With cleanup/knapping over 200. Typically 100-300 on french style locks. Miquelets, snaphaunce ect are a different story.

Attachments

• IMG_8482.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2023-11-28-14-28-57-801.jpg
    IMG_2023-11-28-14-28-57-801.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Depends I have had flints shatter on the first hammer fall. Then again I've had flints last through a 3 day shoot. Can't really say how often I knap a flint I just look at them every so often and do a little clean up if it looks like it needs it. Got one old lock don't have any idea who made it but it just keeps throwing sparks even when the flint is looking like a creek pebble.

About a dozen on average, I suppose. Never really kept track. My main problem is them coming loose and flying out. Seems no matter how tight I screw the jaws down. If I can keep them screwed down then just wiping the flint and the frizzen face from time to time keeps them sparking longer.

In competitions I knap every 5 shots. There might not be a need for it but I don't want anything messing with confidence or causing a misfire or hang fire. Hunting a knap and test before loading so I know it should got off without issues. So mine are used up faster but still get about 50-60 shots off on average.

1. At least 44-50
  2. About the same as #1

Here’s some homemade and store bought flints. My homemade flints don’t have the classic look of the store bought but they make a lot of sparks. And if one only lasts a few shots, I don’t have any money in it and I can make another one.
7DCB8646-E341-4BED-895E-479F6AF39AB5.jpeg
Some recycled leather.
9F9C8B51-0172-4B73-BEA0-5F631E8B5823.jpeg
The jaws on this cock have dimples or teeth to help hold the flint and leather. Once it’s tight, it doesn’t move.
076A3DDF-230A-426F-91EC-6BC7A2F48ADA.jpeg

Total number of shots and how many between tinkering depends on which lock I'm shooting. My SMR is quite gentle on flints. I've shot it for half the day before I think to take a serious look at the flint. Just wipe it clean every couple of shots and carry on. The more I shoot that rifle the more I like it. My Woodsrunner is a little bit tougher on flints and I'd estimate 50-60 shots from the average flint, with tinkering at 15-30 shots. The Woodsrunner can't be stopped. I swear I could load it with wet sawdust and it would still go bang. I try to be very particular about the installation of the flint.
Can't say on my Colonial as I haven't fired it yet.

You know, in all the years I've been shooting flinters I've never really counted the shots.
But I'll put it in these terms, most of the matches I shoot are between 30-40 shots.
Starting with a fresh flint I've never had to knap or fiddle with the flint, I just clean every third shot.

Some of my locks seem to be real finicky depending upon how the flint is cut meaning the surface area I can get into the jaws. I suppose after about 10 shots at times I have to make a minor readjustment to the flints positioning, sometimes a lot more. I don't really know how many shots I can take between knapping the flint. If I start having some misfires or if the flint appears to be taking on a dull or uneven sharpness I take my knapping hammer to it. If I had to guess maybe around 15 on the average with the different flintlocks I have?

Depending on the lock I get 15 to 20 before anything is done to the flint. I'll wipe the flint and maybe scrape it for another 15 to 20. It generally gets knapped a couple of times after that for several more shots and/or moved forward in the cock jaws as it wears. So a good average might be around 50-60 to over 100 for a really good flint.

One of our members posted a list of issues to French military on the frontier. One flint for about a dozen shots.
Chances are most men that were soldiers for France at that time didn’t know how to sharpen. And in a battle situation it would be easier to change a flint in the heat of battle.
I’ve had flints shatter on third, and last up to thirty shots without sharpening
I usually carry four or five with me but retouch only when I start getting a clatch

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I appreciate it.

If I take on this adventure, looks like I have much studying to do. I do not know the first person in this area that shoots a side lock, much less a flintlock.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I appreciate it.

If I take on this adventure, looks like I have much studying to do. I do not know the first person in this area that shoots a side lock, much less a flintlock.
I love my flintlocks. One thing you will learn is they are like a woman. One day they are all nice and cozy with you but the next they seem to be on the warpath. Either way, I think you won't be disappointed at all.

It’s about the same around here. In-line shooters are a dime a dozen (make that once a year in-line shooters). There’s several folks who shoot traditional percussion rifles, but they are basically only deer hunters also. As for flintlocks, I can count on one hand the number of folks around here besides myself that shoot them. A couple of them are re-enactors and one is a deer hunter. I visit a local gun range fairly regular, but I’ve never seen another flintlock there besides mine.

We can usually find black powder substitutes and sometimes caps right before deer season. Accessories are the more modern brass and plastic stuff for .50 calibers. You won’t find any flintlock stuff, especially the cool looking things so I usually make my own.

When I started shooting flintlocks, I learned on my on. Nobody I knew shot them. The internet didn’t exist, at least like it is now. I spent a lot of time at the library and book stores to figure this thing out.

I bought a bunch of cheap arrow heads off of Amazon, and looks like most of them, if i maybe break the tip off, would work for a pretty good Flint. Haven't had a chance to find out i sure will have to try.
Squint

Latest posts

Back