• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the question was simple enough. It's the answers that were complex enough to run this thread to seven pages with no one definitive answer.
True, but the wide variety of answers certainly shows that many have given much thought to it. I don't have a flintlock but I'm getting ready to put one together. Hopefully might have a woodsrunner by elk season. Hopefully I can kill one and get a cows knee off it before it rains 🌧 🙂

Why do the all knowing on the forum have to belittle others on the forum. It takes the the fun out of an informative thread and turns it into a head butting contest.
Good question ETipp, I appreciate it, thanks. We all just have to not take the bait. No response to that sort of post.
It's like that everywhere , its a shame, that's cause people hide behind keyboards, there true colors come out

U
I don’t log off either. I get this as a daily digest. I answer some of them. Many I have ignored because they think it’s cool to troll or are know it alls. You yourself like to troll.
I never log off either, I can’t remember my password to log back in… 🙄

ETipp! There are some great contemporary writings about the battle at Trenton. I'm certain that there were a lot of misfires because of the terrible weather! But the facts remain that there was great musket fire, and cannon fire that overwhelmed the Hessians, despite the dreadful weather!

U

I never log off either, I can’t remember my password to log back in… 🙄
Same here, always logged in at my work computer and my home computer. Sometimes the page is up on screen for hours and I'm not even in the same room.

I too was accused of being "logged in/online" 24 hrs a day, as if I never sleep, pounding energy drinks, and peeing in a bottle just waiting for new post to pop up .
49hkf4.jpg

It's like that everywhere , its a shame, that's cause people hide behind keyboards, there true colors come out

Think they call it keyboard muscles. Those people would not act like that in person.
To many old school people on here and it probably would not end well for them. I try to be a polite as I can, probably more so then I am in person.

I live in W PA where humidity is high a good part of the year. I've experienced along with others that the powder charge can turn to mush in a relatively short time even when it's not raining. I guess it depends on humidity. I've never tried sealing the pan. 4F is the worst for it and I understand that 3F fairs better but I still use 4F and change the charge and clean the pan when needed. That can be anywhere from 15 min to an hour without rain. I will add that I leave my percussion rifles loaded overnight if I haven't shot that day, just keep 'em at the same temp as outside. I have had experiences where I had a l-o-o-o-n-g hangfire the next day with a flinter so I shoot off at the end of the day.

ETipp! There are some great contemporary writings about the battle at Trenton. I'm certain that there were a lot of misfires because of the terrible weather! But the facts remain that there was great musket fire, and cannon fire that overwhelmed the Hessians, despite the dreadful weather!
Of course there was. No doubt about it. But we still only hear what the author tells us or wants us to know. That’s with any history.

Are flintlocks reliable when it’s raining?
I dont know why folks still use any sort of knees.
A darn hassle to get off, and as soon as you do, you have rain on it.

A crayon applied to the upper and lower lip of the pan seals it.
Ive heard lip balm works, but have never tired it.
Here in the pacific North Wet, EVERY hunting season and half the rondies are wet.
In the decades Ive been flinting, Ive never had a round not go off.

I also wear my long hunters outfit when Im out in the high country.
The one thing I did learn in the rain is to turn my Cocked hat around backwards.

After I fired once, I looked into the pan and the rain in my hat washed the pan real good.

I live in W PA where humidity is high a good part of the year. I've experienced along with others that the powder charge can turn to mush in a relatively short time even when it's not raining. I guess it depends on humidity. I've never tried sealing the pan. 4F is the worst for it and I understand that 3F fairs better but I still use 4F and change the charge and clean the pan when needed. That can be anywhere from 15 min to an hour without rain. I will add that I leave my percussion rifles loaded overnight if I haven't shot that day, just keep 'em at the same temp as outside. I have had experiences where I had a l-o-o-o-n-g hangfire the next day with a flinter so I shoot off at the end of the day.
I absolutely believe high humidity is a huge factor in this.

Over the years, time after time, during a period of rain at the shoots here, the flintlocks are still shooting long after the caplocks have had to leave the range.

Unless you have extensive experience with both ignition systems, an opinion is worthless to the discussion.
Nothing personal here waksupi, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

Not saying it couldn’t happen but I would have to see it.

If a cap has a good seal, it ain’t going to get wet under it. And with a good seal with the patch, lube, no rain is going to get past that.

Again, I’m not referring to shooting, reload and shoot again in a relatively short period of time.

I hunt a fair amount in rainy, foggy and very humid conditions and I do not experience any misfires with a percussion. Sometimes I’m out for hours in such conditions before I get a shot.

However, this should not be construed as a war between flintlocks and percussions. That is not my intent whatsoever and I certainly do not want this to turn into one. I am very interested in getting a flintlock. Thus my “simple” question. 😁

Last edited:

If a cap has a good seal, it ain’t going to get wet under it. And with a good seal with the patch, lube, no rain is going to get past that.

Again, I’m not referring to shooting, reload and shoot again in a relatively short period of time.

I hunt a fair amount in rainy, foggy and very humid conditions and I do not experience any misfires with a percussion. Sometimes I’m out for hours in such conditions before I get a shot.

However, this should not be construed as a war between flintlocks and percussions. That is not my intent whatsoever and I certainly do not want this to turn into one. I am very interested in getting a flintlock. Thus my “simple” question. 😁
"Again, I’m not referring to shooting, reload and shoot again in a relatively short period of time."

This is exactly the type of shooting I was referring to. As far as hunting goes, I've had about as much luck with one as the other. I would say that a caplock is probably easier to keep moisture resistant.

I’d also add this. Go ahead and get a flintlock. Percussion guns are fun but flintlocks are on a whole different level of fun. And it’s not that hard to keep a flintlock up and running, just different.

When you take that first squirrel with a flintlock, you’ll see what I mean.

I know you don’t want this thread to become a this vs that discussion and I’m not trying to go that way either. But I have found that priming a pan is easier than capping a nipple in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Love this forum.. I have been a percussion shooter for the most part and this year jumped off the cliff and got a repro flint musket (Charleville 1777 ).. Followed was the order for the mold, some good English Flints and I'm mastering making period paper cartridges. I even ordered some Georgetown Chert nodules and will be attempting to create some of my own flints.. Reading this topic thread I have already learned a ton.. I'm looking forward to the experiences ahead.

This forum is such a hoot. A thread titled "Simple question" is six pages and running ... :cool:
At least the question was ML legit… there is on thread working into the 4th page about how to bait a mouse!!!! About how to bait a mouse for crying out loud!!! Love it!!!🤣

The Scotsman whom invented the percussion cap was a duck hunter. Could it be at one time in disgust he cried out...."aye I am so sick of missing Ducks and wet pans"....?

Back