• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a match 2 years ago. I used my flintlock all morning with no issues. Then it was time for the flintlock 25 and 50yrd aggs. It started raining a lot. There were only 2 of us on the line. The range went hot, I could not get my flintlock to spark no matter what I did (new flint, alcohol patch, dry towel) my only opponent couldn't get his rifle to go off and called it quits. I only needed my rifle to fire 1 time and hit the target to win but I couldn't get it to fire.

Not really @kyron4 ,, it's just that so many believe it is.
And you help share the concept.
I mean honest, if you can't or don't understand how to post a bias video that uses editing prior to the post/save to youtube.?
You can't grasp the sophomore concept of acquired viewing of paid youtube marketing that saturates "experience"??
I had striking a steel and getting flame in 2.2,, before www.
I have 1 youtube video. it show's how to R an R a T/C lock coil spring, in and out and back in 5.7
It has been posted here about 45 times.
But, after all that.
Others still share how to make a tool to remove that spring, how proud they are to have made that tool and how important it is to make and use a tool to remove that spring.
Doesn't matter doe's it? my vid wasn't "entertaining". it just showed a needle-nose pliers taking/doing the task in/out twice with full lock function in 5.7?

But you guy's all need your phone linked and notifications set. Just so when ya wake up to pee and look at it,, you can link another searched for share for benign response
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

I was at a match 2 years ago. I used my flintlock all morning with no issues. Then it was time for the flintlock 25 and 50yrd aggs. It started raining a lot. There were only 2 of us on the line. The range went hot, I could not get my flintlock to spark no matter what I did (new flint, alcohol patch, dry towel) my only opponent couldn't get his rifle to go off and called it quits. I only needed my rifle to fire 1 time and hit the target to win but I couldn't get it to

Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Thank you for posting that.

Year before last I shot the Woodswalk at Friendship. It was 80 + degrees, humid and drizzling rain. Enough rain that you held your hand over the muzzle after pouring powder to get your patch/ball loaded. I was using a cap lock but 2 others shot flints. To my surprise they never had a misfire. One dry balled a load. They did not use any cow's knee or covering just keep the lock under their arms/coat as much as possible. At the end of the match I was mildly surprised.

Don

P.S. - I won the relay by 2 shots......:ghostly:

Year before last I shot the Woodswalk at Friendship. It was 80 + degrees, humid and drizzling rain. Enough rain that you held your hand over the muzzle after pouring powder to get your patch/ball loaded. I was using a cap lock but 2 others shot flints. To my surprise they never had a misfire. One dry balled a load. They did not use any cow's knee or covering just keep the lock under their arms/coat as much as possible. At the end of the match I was mildly surprised.

Don

P.S. - I won the relay by 2 shots......:ghostly:
I was there too on the first 3 days, it was very humid for sure. I shot the woods walk first thing that Saturday morning, my flintlock was firing fine until I got to the last station ( split the card ) I was getting some mucky build up in and around the pan which I would clean off with a patch at some of the previous stations. I finally got it to shoot only to hit the front edge and back edge of the card. All of the cards were set up the day before and were all warped from the damp air. I went this past fall for revenge and completely missed the card.

Why do the all knowing on the forum have to belittle others on the forum.
I haven't been able to figure that out either?
Etipp, never logs off, he's always connected,, it's like he has live feed and never sleeps,
kinda like some of those games folks play today?

Once at a reenactment there was a driving rain. At Ticonderoga. My fusil fired 33 times in succession with no misfires. BUT, the gun was warm when the rain started, and I was careful to keep the lock covered between shots. Another time at Martin's Station the rain came before the battle. I did everything I could to keep the gun dry. Wrapped it in a wool cloth, kept it in a Native shelter. But I never got it to fire. I even stopped in the middle of the "battle" and cleaned it behind a house, but still couldn't get it to fire. So it just depends.

"All skill is in vain when an angel pees in the touch hole of your musket." - German proverb.

Late to this discussion but here goes...in 2008 I attended the 250th F&I event at Fort Ticonderoga. On the Saturday of the weekend it poured all day. Nonetheless, due to the anniversary nature of the weekend, the battle went off at the scheduled time. I was portraying a French milice that day and they divided us up into two shooting groups. We were instructed to keep our locks & powder dry while waiting to climb up onto the firing line. I was in the second group so waited while the first group got off 20 shots. By the time I stepped up to the firing line, it had been raining for over an hour. Lo and behold, when given the command, my first shot fired as planned. So did the following 19! I didn't have one misfire during the entire time on the line. What I found was as long as I kept firing, the heat of it all kept everything dry so firing was successful.
Now, once I stepped off the line to wait my turn again, that long wait allowed everything to cool down. Even though I did everything as I had before, the next time I stepped up to the line it was very difficult to get my musket to fire. Once I did, everything set off again as before.

Just my limited experience in a downpour. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Only if the flintlock user, knows he's using a flint lock.
Have you in any way considered history?
Have you in any way considered the use of historical documentation before you asked?
Or are we all supposed to respond to your 2024 ask?
I'm sorry, honest question,, It's 17th century technology used in 2024.
Is your question the inconvenience of (?) Or actual use?
The actual use has been documented for 400 yrs.
🙄

I haven't been able to figure that out either?
Etipp, never logs off, he's always connected,, it's like he has live feed and never sleeps,
kinda like some of those games folks play today?
And there you go trying to switch the blame again. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, its not me he was asking about.😁

My God, give it a rest.

Wow, glad I’m not a moderator on this forum. I’d be a lot busier than I already am. But Mike’s glad :) I’m not!

In my experience the more you shoot in the rain the harder it gets to have consistent ignition. The first shot may be fine. After several, things get sloppy. A lot of people say it’s ok to have the touch hole at the bottom of the pan. Not in wet weather.

Yea I know there are exceptions like that one time……

With a decent cow's knee you can get by in the rain but what I have found that's worse than rain is heavy fog.
I was hunting last year on the opening day of muzzleloader season and it was extremely foggy I didn't see anything so at the end of the hunt I went to clear the pan of powder it had absorbed so much moisture the powder can out as one big chunk and I don't think it would have fired if I'd see a deer.

Wow, glad I’m not a moderator on this forum. I’d be a lot busier than I already am. But Mike’s glad :) I’m not!

In my experience the more you shoot in the rain the harder it gets to have consistent ignition. The first shot may be fine. After several, things get sloppy. A lot of people say it’s ok to have the touch hole at the bottom of the pan. Not in wet weather.

Yea I know there are exceptions like that one time……
That’s another good point. Never thought of that.

Still gathering information as to whether I want to do this or not.

Thanks for posting that.

With a decent cow's knee you can get by in the rain but what I have found that's worse than rain is heavy fog.
I was hunting last year on the opening day of muzzleloader season and it was extremely foggy I didn't see anything so at the end of the hunt I went to clear the pan of powder it had absorbed so much moisture the powder can out as one big chunk and I don't think it would have fired if I'd see a deer.
Interesting. I definitely hunt in the fog and rain. Something else to consider.

On this squirrel hunt I had been out in the rain and fog for most of the day. My Crockett fired off fine both times.

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1832.jpeg
    IMG_1832.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Friend, it either rains or it doesn't.
In our past, it rained or it didn't,,
So "blame game?" How did people, 400yrs ago, not shoot game for food?
It's pretty simple, want food? care for the gun while in the rain,
want to shoot target and eat a can of spam? don't care for the gun
It's history, within all voyageur, pork eater or havernat?
Your choice, same as theirs,,

I'm sorry, I guess I just couldn't/can't get that our history has been lost that far. I never got a flintlock without learning about it first,,
You've got history here, I presumed you knew how,??

Latest posts

Back