• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I wanted to hunt with my English fowler that had been shooting great but all of the sudden it started having way too many fliers so I put it up and used my .54.

Yesterday I tried it out again looking for the error in my ways that caused it to shoot poorly.

I realized I had switched from a weighed charge of 1F to a measured charge that really weighed 85 gr(senior moment).

I also think I had too much lube on my patches when the balls started spraying.

I was shooting at 35yds as this is about as far as any of my shots will be where I hunt.

I ended up with 100gr of 1F, a wool wad and 486 gr .690 ball patched with .025 denim. I lubed with mink oil but used a heat gun to melt the lube into the patch so there was less on the surface. I swabbed with a wet and dry patch after every shot.

The gun I built, it does have a rear sight and is jug choked. The gun has a 38" D weight, Colerain 72 cal swamped barrel. The gun is primarily my turkey gun.

3zcufiD.jpg

The target with a 2" bull; the first shot is the high left one before I started melting the lube into the patch.

Al5ZkoH.jpg

Looks like your'e on the right track. Not that it matters, but I started using Dutch's system on my Penn. rifle. the results were so good I'm going to try it on my 54 smoothie.

Nice going Eric and a very nice gun there :wink: . You are lucky to have the land to do your gun testing on without all the "YaHoos" at a public range. How does that boomer kick with the patched round ball :hmm: ?

I’ve seen TOO much lube ruin a group more times than I care to count, even on a rifle!

FWIW it was a recent post here that prompted me to try 1Fg powdah in my larger caliber (65 to 75) and longer barreled (54” to 60”) flint smoothies ... and while I’ve yet to do dedicated ”˜load development’ tests yet, the preliminary results are VERY encouraging!

With this load my fowler has punishing recoil. I even get a pretty good thump through a 1" PAST recoil pad.

I have killed one deer with this gun and never felt the recoil, thank goodness.

18bddhp.jpg

Good shootin Eric. Thats sure a purty gun you built :bow: My 12 does good with 100 Fg too an the 690 is like a sledge hammer on a deer

Caywood did the choke, I had two barrels done, one will blow a turkey's head to jello at 40 yards, I sold this barrel to a friend. The one on this gun not so much, 25 yards max, I don't know why they came out so different.

I picked 12ga because I made this gun for turkeys, the fact that it shoots a round ball well is a plus.

Maven said:
"I ended up with 100gr of 1F, a wool wad and 486 gr .690 ball patched with .025 denim."

Not surprised that combination recoiled vigorously, Eric: Saw it right off! :wink:

I once had a CW rifled musket in .72 cal. with 100-120 gr. charges it recoiled painfully. Personally, for murdering Bambi at 35 yards, methinks charges in the 50-70 gr. range are plenty enuf. That nearly one ounce ball will drop most North American critters, fer sure.

Back