• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the New Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the best of my knowledge Fowlers were not traditionally used with anything but shot. Bird shot, swan shot, maybe buck shot. The barrels were thin for easy, quick handling. Not for round balls. But again, I’m no authority on the subject. But I have heard and read Jim state that he hoped folks would stay with shot. But he still has to make the barrels heavier than originals because people are bound to put RBs in them. Not sure about his barrel shape, we’ll know pretty soon. If you dovetail a round barrel it better be a thick walled one. Just not traditionally done. Fowlers and Trade Guns are both smoothbores but different animals.
Thanks for that.

I have a copy of a 1850's original NW gun in 50 caliber with no rear sight like the original. Testing at the range with round ball we are using the tang screw for alignment we are 6 inches to the right and 4 inches low at 50 yards off the bench, then its Kentucky windage comes into play. So much for trying to do like what was done in the day ...

I have a copy of a 1850's original NW gun in 50 caliber with no rear sight like the original. Testing at the range with round ball we are using the tang screw for alignment we are 6 inches to the right and 4 inches low at 50 yards off the bench, then its Kentucky windage comes into play. So much for trying to do like what was done in the day ...
Need a picture there partner.

Quit with the patches and load it like a shotgun. Powder, card, wzd. ball, card.

Assuming it's.62, try .600 and .610 balls.

Do not patch the ball.
The more I hear about the fowlers, the more interested I get. Don't patch the ball? Actually, when you think about it, why would we want a patch? No rifling. I suppose you'd just want the optimum ball size. I sound ignorant because I am. Before J. Kibler introduces his, I really need to learn more about it. Or maybe not. Maybe a new smooth bore shooter could just start out with the famed Skychief load and be okay. I can imagine the fun to be had at the trap range. Probably get a lot of interest. But how on earth would you be able to load in time at a 25 round shoot? Yes, I got a lot to learn.

The more I hear about the fowlers, the more interested I get. Don't patch the ball? Actually, when you think about it, why would we want a patch? No rifling. I suppose you'd just want the optimum ball size. I sound ignorant because I am. Before J. Kibler introduces his, I really need to learn more about it. Or maybe not. Maybe a new smooth bore shooter could just start out with the famed Skychief load and be okay. I can imagine the fun to be had at the trap range. Probably get a lot of interest. But how on earth would you be able to load in time at a 25 round shoot? Yes, I got a lot to learn.
Smoothbore shooting is a mixture of art and science. I’m learning too.

Smoothbore shooting is a mixture of art and science. I’m learning too.
well that excludes me from smoothbore shooting then, flunked science, and can't draw a match stick man!
by the way Thad, have a box ready to head your way. pure fat this time, my neighbor kids black mouth cur dog ate the last half pound of bees wax i had. will be interesting to get the report how that turns out! or doesn't turn out as the case may be.

well that excludes me from smoothbore shooting then, flunked science, and can't draw a match stick man!
by the way Thad, have a box ready to head your way. pure fat this time, my neighbor kids black mouth cur dog ate the last half pound of bees wax i had. will be interesting to get the report how that turns out! or doesn't turn out as the case may be.
Great. I’ll get with you on that!

with my T/C 56cal smooth bore that is stock with sights shooting a .545" cast round ball (I now know why those T/C moulds are so expensive after making my own, the first took 40 hrs off and on while working for the boss and I messed up the alignment. the second took less then 8 hrs while working ) .015 -.0120 patch and 35 grns 3f @25 yds 60 grns @ 50 and 100 yds it consistently scores in the upper 40's on the nmlra aggregate for sighted smooth bores

Need a picture there partner.
In a few weeks check Track of the Wolf's website - look at there guns for sale. You will see the trade gun mentioned for sale. Guns are scheduled to be at their shop this Friday.

REASON FOR SELLING: I fell a year ago on the sidewalk landing on my right shoulder tearing up that joint to the point I can't lift or hold a heavy gun anymore. The doctors want to replace my shoulder but question doing so because of my age, same with both knees. This getting old really sucks ...

In a few weeks check Track of the Wolf's website - look at there guns for sale. You will see the trade gun mentioned for sale. Guns are scheduled to be at their shop this Friday.

REASON FOR SELLING: I fell a year ago on the sidewalk landing on my right shoulder tearing up that joint to the point I can't lift or hold a heavy gun anymore. The doctors want to replace my shoulder but question doing so because of my age, same with both knees. This getting old really sucks ...
Yup I was going to physical therapy for my knees got all done and all good for a week and feel down the stairs and landed on both knees .👀

Back