• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Woodsrunner - first day on the range Sighting in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took the Woodsrunner to the range for the first time this past Sunday. This was my first kit build from Kibler and all I can say is WOW.. I have been super impressed from the start. Everything fits like a glove right out of the box. .If you have been on the fence about buy a kits from Kibler, I highly recommend you take the leap.....you will not regret it .

Anyhow...I approached the sighting in process with the Mike Beliveau method I watched from YOUTUBE.. Started at 13 yard to adjust the windage. There was a steady right to left wind, maybe 10mph. The first attached picture is the results at 13 yards... Then to moved it out to 25 yards, to fine tune windage...you can see that they are grouping just to the left...I was factoring that the wind was effecting the bullets a bit...

Unfortunately I forgot to bring an extra flint with me so I had to stop short of the 50 yard mark to start adjusting elevation...More to come as I will be returning to the range again this Saturday.. Pretty sure this rifle will shoot lights out once I get it dialed in with a bit more work...

I was using 70 grains 2F Schuetzen with .490 round ball and .018 patch lubed with 50/50 dawn dish soap and water.....

BTW -- the 50/50 soap/water lube.. FANTASTIC.....

Attachments

• 13yrds.jpg
    13yrds.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • kibler - Copy.jpg
    kibler - Copy.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • range - Copy.jpg
    range - Copy.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • second25yard - Copy.jpg
    second25yard - Copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
I don't know how old this thread is. I found it while looking for something else. Of Jim's offerings I chose the Colonial because:
It fits my specific favorite time in American history.
I don't like the SMR because of the severe curvature of the butt stock.
Cannot stand the look of the Woodsrunner's butt stock.
The 10 pound weight of the .54 Colonial is historically correct and the 10 pounds is no problem because of the guns length and balance. I'm 76 and find it no problem to carry.
I've yet to shoot my completed Colonial but to me it has the classic look of a longrifle. I found nothing to make me think any other rifle is right for me. I applied no finish to the lock and I did the several day browning on the barrel. I draw filed it, applied the solution, placed it in a light bulb heated plywood box, carding and reapplying the solution every 12 hours. After 5 days it had the look of the underside of a Hershey bar. Gorgeous. I put little effort in finishing the wood. Sanded down to 600 grit. Applied one coat of Minwax stain called Honey. Let that dry and finished with three coats of poly. My "plain" maple stock turned out anything but plain. Wish I had a pic. My favorite gun ever. Reminder: the finished brown barrel requires heavy doses of oil because those layers of "rust'" really soaks it up.

Latest posts

Back