• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show us your outfit and kit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpy, did you join Selin's Rifle Co?

No, but thanks for making the connection. Makes me feel I'm on the right path. :grin:

I didn't mention them because I am not a member. I am relying heavily on their guidelines and approved gear because they are a top notch outfit. When/if I do join an "official" reenactment group it would be theirs. Sullivan passed through my neighboorhood in 1779 on the way to Newton (Elmira). The original rifle corps were were active here (Sullivan fought a battle three miles down-river, so conceivably his scouts passed by my home's site, possibly the full column) so I chose Selin's as my model. They are good enough to share their research and recommendations.

And furthermore, as you can see, for a regular outfit the dress is simple and practical.

I have no clue how to add a photo so this is of me a couple years ago. Made it all but the gun and the outer shirt. I am reaching back to get something in my shooting bag. My wife says it looks like I have an itch.

Link

Leggings.jpg

Stumpy,
There is an old story that Washington sent Sullivan to the Scranton area to quell a local Indian uprising instigated by the British during the war. As the story goes, he lost a cannon in a deep swamp here that was never found. Maybe he stopped here on the way north to Binghampton? Have you run across that story in your research?
Finnwolf

I don't remember a lost cannon, but the Wyoming Massacre, where Torys and Iroquois (slipping into personna here) murdered innocents along the Susquehanna River through the Wyoming Valley in 1778 and put to death all the defenders of Forty Fort near Scranton is what directly lead to the Sullivan and Clinton punative strikes all along the NY/PA border in 1779.

Where Sullivan and Clinton met to join forces on the road to Newton is just outside of Binghamton - a town now called "Union" because of that event. Sullivan followed the Susquehanna River, and sent raiding troops up the smaller rivers, like the Chenango I live on, to burn any villages and winter food larders.

I have a Minelab metal detector and remain hopeful that someday . . .

Stumpkiller said:
Where Sullivan and Clinton met to join forces on the road to Newton is just outside of Binghamton - a town now called "Union" because of that event.

Now I know the rest of the sory! Interesting tidbit, Stumpy. I spent the first 5 years of my life just oustide the town of Maine. I've been through Union and Union Center many, many times.

Here's my start. It's definitely a work in progress. I forgot my powder horn. Since the pic I have added a hat, possibles bag, trappers axe, & have a patch knife in the works. Any suggestions gladly accepted.

dec1805.jpg

Looks fantastic, Bald Mtn Man! Hurry up and post a pic of you in your latest additions. Love the footwear. :thumbsup: What are those animal tracks in the snow? Your pet or your supper? :haha:

Well, it's not much, but it's a start. I'm missing the clothing, but that'll come with time.

Preacher

ComputerDesk.jpg

horns1.jpg

PosBag1.jpg

LehighValleyLongrifle2.jpg

CAM_0225sm.jpg

I figured I would post a pick of some of my 17th century kit. This was a pick taken after getting home from an afternoon of deer hunting this fall.

Plumblue,
you kit's right on bud :thumbsup:
I especially like the hunter's orange hood, doesn't stand out in the least, I've gotta make me one for next year's hunt.

Was your burning match a distractin during the hunt? I see at least one deeer that didn't notice it :applause:
Great job!

Thanks for the kind words. I try to kee my gear headed in the right direction (except the floresent hood that is).
The smell of the match doesn't seem to bother the deer a bit, in fact some are curios enough to try and get a closer look. The first time I hunted deer with the matchlock I had an eight point step right into my brush blind with me trying to see what the smell was, we were both pretty suprised to see each other, he got away and I had the worst case of buck fever ever.
As for the hood I made it after looking over a few origonals (not orange of course) and making one for ma femme (she portrays a woodland native). It is nice and warm, stays put on your head and the best part is that while I'm wearing it I can't see the orange (I hate that shade of orange) but everyone else can see it. It is made out of blue wool with the orange sewen on over top of it. The full cost was about $4.00 in material and about 10 minutes to sew it up.

Just remember, you asked for it. Now prepare your eyes for the most awful site you will see for the whole year of 2006. I only have one of me and one of my many outfits. This was at the last show I done last summer. I was demonstrating hornsmithing.
MCD5.jpg
[/img]

Here is my 'winter' duds for a Frenchman in colonial Louisiana (been too hot for them most days):
xmas05002.jpg

Griz said:
Just remember, you asked for it. Now prepare your eyes for the most awful site you will see for the whole year of 2006. I only have one of me and one of my many outfits. This was at the last show I done last summer. I was demonstrating hornsmithing.
MCD5.jpg
[/img]

W'all now ... fancy leggins n earring doodads! Ya musta a been sumthin afore 'lectricty Griz! :rotf:

Davy

Why yes, Claude, it is. :hatsoff: I have three in my collection...all different, no sets.

Preacher

This be a likeness of me, but I am much more fit and good looking than this photo gives me credit for! :rotf:

Coat and leggins are braintan, shirt is linen, and the hat is just plain old.

doc.jpg

Back