• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show us your outfit and kit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you pulled every other tooth you wouldnt need that big toothpick,,, :kid:,,,nice outfit

Mike,

The deep red wool strap on what looks to be an eastern native haversack? Can you give me a run down on the materials used to make that? Any more specific pictures of the stap and bag?

I have been thinking about making myself another wool eastern bag like that (had one many moon's ago) but I have not found a good source of deep red wool. About everything I find is to nappy or to bright.

but I have not found a good source of deep red wool.

Hamilton Dry Goods.

t_Wrh221.jpg

I have some "Santa Red" wool (not the above image - think British military frock) I'm putting up into a fustian lined hunting frock so the local bubbas don't think I'm a deer (doesn't matter deer season or no - I figure no one is going to poach with Santa around).

www.hamiltondrygoods.com Everything from burgandy to LobsterBack Red and all shades in between. Buy enough and they'll custom dye it as you wish.

Barkertown Sutlers is another good source. www.barkertownsutlers.com But, they're not returning calls this week???

Great pics, guys! :thanks:

Hey Mad Irish Jack, do you recall what color you used to dye the cloth in the top pic where you are standing at the back right?

me4.jpg

Hey Mike, from the hair I'm guessing that was some time back - but do you remember what the color of that shirt was called?

I'm guessing that picture was probably 20 years ago now. Probably 1985 -1987 or there abouts.
That shirt was idigo blue when it started out, It faded to a grey blue color....I may even still have it around.
The hair,.... I've worn it at every length at one time or another. I've had it as long as to the middle of my back, got a hair cut one time where the gal cut off 18" in one wack. I wear it at about 1/4" of an inch today....not much maintenance involved at that length.... :haha:

::It wasn't the length! :peace:

I like the color that shirt matured into - a nondescript, could be anything color -- not unlike the the natural color of most animals in that regard.

Okay here goes,
IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

I made everything on me except the belt and pouch, the grey bag, the cap and the mocs. I should have put on the mocs I made. The guns I built. The flinter is Der Schmiser in .54 rifled. The wheellock is the redhairedgal in .60 rifled. I have a 20 gauge smoothbore barrel for the flinter. All the barrels are getz. The locks are Jim Chambers early Germanic and TRS from bag of cast parts. Ask away
God bless.
volatpluvia

Volatpluvia, what finish is on your jaeger's barrel and lock? I've had mine in the white, browned and rust blued and now back in the white. I'm gonna wear it out just refinishing it all the time! Very nice gear by the way. :hatsoff:

The shirt is natural linen died in walnut hull die. The die was strained and vinegar added to set. Water was boiling and the shirt was removed and placed in warm water for about 10 minutes while stirring. Then, placed in cold water with vinegar added and rinsed several times until the water was clean. It was dried by hanging outside. It's about ten years old. ::

::It wasn't the length! :peace:

I like the color that shirt matured into - a nondescript, could be anything color -- not unlike the the natural color of most animals in that regard.
Oh......you're comenting on my coice to wear my hair white instead of red! :crackup:
been alot of water under the bridge since those pictures were taken.....

yeagermeister,
The barrel is rust browned, Laurel mountain, I believe. Here is another picture of me this morning that might be of interest.
IMG_0451.jpg

This is my first deer in fifteen years. The meat is in the fridge cooling so I can cut the steaks better and there will be stewing meat, and hamburger.
I got instant fire using a John Horst's French amber flint. It was in between periods of rain at the time. The first shot anchored her on the spot and ruined a big chunk of back straps. The second, from eight feet, finished her off and ruined the neck roasts. Sigh. Even so I have a nice pile of meat.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Probably a result of the mental template I have of Napoleonic-era uniforms, but all that white says "French" to me. Definitely has the Cassius-like lean and hungry look I would expect of a woodsman.

Probably a result of the mental template I have of Napoleonic-era uniforms, but all that white says "French" to me. Definitely has the Cassius-like lean and hungry look I would expect of a woodsman.

Well, the photo itself is a little off on color. Note the chair behind me, that should be a tan but it looks much lighter. The color of my shirt was really a tan color and the breeches a light gray.

]Got one of your current kit?

Not really since my current kit is still being built up. I have a couple of shirts, breeches, two pairs of leggings, frock coat, etc, done so far... as well as a new shooting bag, shot horn, powder horn... I sold a great deal of my gear a few years back when I got into WWII reenacting and now I am reulding it all back up. Lots and lots of sewing has been done so far but a lot more to go. :thumbsup:

There are a few things that I really regret selling back then (especially my neck knife and pipe hawk). But, I made those before, I can do it again. ::

Back