• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show us your outfit and kit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, I thought you'd have devil's horns and a forked tail at least...... :blah:
What'd you drop in the last picture? Flint fall out of your fowler?
:winking:
Thanks for the picks!

Nice Kit, What sources are you using for documentation?
I eventually want to back up all my gear with documentable sources, mind sharing a few?

Geez, I thought you'd have devil's horns and a forked tail at least...... :blah:
What'd you drop in the last picture? Flint fall out of your fowler?
:winking:
Thanks for the picks!

I think he is putting patina on his new leggins. Just my opinion though. :)
I like this little guy, he's having a lot of fun too. :crackup: Look at him. Ain't he a riot? :sorry: :eek:ff:
Don :hatsoff:

Nice photos, Dana - your gear looks great. Please tell... who made the braintan leggings? BTW, you're also developing a nice "patina" up there on your head as well... :haha: characteristic of the "wisdom of the ages"! :winking: I may have missed it if you've said somewhere before, but what are you thinking of using for head gear? Cocked hat? Round hat? I have 2 of Clearwater's hats (Longhunter and English tricorn - they're superb!) and a straw tricorn from Dirty Billy's. FWIW, I can wholeheartedly recommend dealing with both of those companies.

ps notice the mall on the left side of the photo, it is used to pound the bejesus out of the balls to get them past the bore and seated against the powder.

TexasMilitia003.jpg

I should say so! Them copper jacketed buggers especially are hard to seat. That gun doesn't even have a proper rammer. You must have to use 1/4" drill rod stock and a 2 lb. ball peen hammer to get them .311" bullets down a .308" bore. And the patches must tear up sumpin fierce. :crackup:

In most reenacting it is important to have some documentation. The problem with the mid to late 18th century is that there is precious little in way or serious documentation to reference.

The original material still housed in museums is not generally on view to the public, which makes it hard for people to study them; and the vast majority of that material are artifacts from the upper class. Their personal items and clothing, made to such a high degree of quality and used so little in rather privileged hands, are the only things that survived the rigors of time or that society felt was worth saving.

Private collections in many respects are nearly worthless in historical value as references. The materials in most private hands has never been properly documented so the dates of manufacture and purpose of use have been lost to the ages and now are only rumors and guesswork... "This has been in my family for years... I THINK it was used by... I believe during the..." etc. Nothing is ever known for sure.

In my work I have had the rare privilege to not only see many artifacts that are not on display to the general public, but I have in some cases been lucky enough to hold them and examine them.

My hunting pouch is based on some sketches I made of an original bag (dated to around 1740-50) that I was lucky enough to spend a hour or so examining. Like most bags of the time, it is a simple affair with no real decoration or adornment. It was a thing to carry gun related items in, nothing more.

The leggings are the same. I have examined a few original legging examples and no design was set in stone. Mine are sewn the entire length, but I have seen some examples that were just tied together every few inches or so. The design of mine is decidedly eastern, note the 1" edging up the outside. Some people make their leggings quite large on their legs, giving them ample room, not unlike a modern pair of pants. This is a mistake of the modern mind... ::

In reality, leggings (especially eastern leather leggings) should fit tight on the leg. This characteristic is evident from the original examples still in existence. If you examine them, you will see a defined shape of the former owners leg in the material. Sweat stains, wear marks... all of these point to a garment that was being worn tightly on the limb.

The two shirts are reproductions of the common man's shirt of the time. The Longhunters of the 18th century were known to wear these types of "hunting shirts" and most reproductions made today are quite accurate, showing the same variations no doubt found in the originals of the time. Mine are based on a mixture of standard patterns available. The light hunting shirt is made of cotton muslin and walnut husk dyed. The spit shirt is a slightly heavier material (fustian) and was dyed with butternut husks to gain a slightly warmer brown than walnut.

The frock coat is made of cotton denim (not the jeans type, but the closest weave I could find to match denim of the time) and was first dyed with butternut. Then I mixed together a careful blend of both dark green and brown rit dye and boiled the frock for about 5 minutes in this mixture. I then washed it three or four times to bleed the color off to the shade I wanted. It simulates a period looking green stain quite well I think.

The references used for most of this have been from my own eyes, looking at original examples, talking with collectors and reading descriptions in journals of the time. The references in that regards are to many to list for sure, but for more of a "in a nutshell" reference I would recommend the book "Recreating the American Longhunter : 1740-1790" by Joseph Buckman. The information in this book is extremely valuable as it references many different journal entries and makes some very sound conclusions regarding clothing and equipment.

I would also recommend anything written by Mark Baker. Although I question some of his conclusions regarding the mindset of the eastern longhunter and take some of what he says with a grain of salt... his ideas regarding clothing and equipment are pretty sound and worth referencing.

Sharp lookin' gear! I especially like the looks of the shooting bag and horn(looks like it holds at least a pound of powder). I find it interesting that you seem to be right handed but carry your horn and bag on the left. Is your powder measure hanging from your horn. Mine does, I was just wondering. :hatsoff:

Please tell... who made the braintan leggings?

The hides were done by a friend of mine a few years back and I have had them for a while. I made the leggings.

To anyone interested in making leggings like this, I would strongly advise the use of commercially "brain tanned" hides. It is a fraction of the cost of real brain tanned hides and is nearly identical. I have a couple of commercial brain tanned hides and have compared them to the real thing, very very close. I will be making other leggings soon but I will be using the commercial hides instead.

what are you thinking of using for head gear? Cocked hat? Round hat?

I haven't decided yet. I have always worn a tricorn but I might try some other ideas... who knows.

Well here are my outfits. Here I am ready for the woods:
p63000865bv.jpg

I made almost everything including my rifle, pouches,leggings(I made a longer pair now),Mocc's, ect. My hat and knee breeches are purchased.

p62600170pa.jpg

Here are my town clothes. All those clothes make you look 20 lbs heavier and like you are wearing pettycoats! The price of style....lol
I try to make most my gear, but sewing cloth is not my forte. I usually buy the fancier clothes.

Thanks Liver Eating Johnson, the rifle is an "early virginia" style dating about 1760's. The lock is a Siler, so it is not 100%, but it is easy on the flints. I may upgrade it to a Chambers Virginia lock eventually.
The wood is curly maple, with an aquafortis brown, and an alkilini root red overtone. I finished it with 30+ coats of linseed oil.
I browned the iron hardware, but found out later that this was not a common practice, as most guns were sold "in the white" with polished locks and barrels, but I like the look.
I am working on getting the parts for an English Fowler next. I am thinking brass hardware, with a 46" barrel and english walnut stock. I like projects as they keep me busy and out of trouble with the wife... :grin:

yep you do got a good looking kit for a white man lol :rotf: it seems you got it all together nic,you really look like a longknife from the 18th century :thumbsup:

Here is about one of the only Pics I have of me in my "current" kit
Pirate1720.jpg

The hat is from Kitty Hats
The Justaucorps (100% Grosgrain silk) and shirt are from Suzi Clark
The Breeches (100% grosgrain silk) are from Jane Huggett ( robert.huggett(REMOVE@)airwidesolutions.com )
Wool stocking I picked up at History Alive (an event in the UK)
Shoes are early 18th Century straight lasted from Kevin Garlick
Buckles are from GG Godwin

The period I am trying to portray is 1717ish High Seas Piracy.

If interested, you can check out my Pirate site (see below)

on the road to Santa Fe trail Indian look and Trail wagon guard.
bullmoose.jpg
Dress outfit banquet Spanish lady, and 1830's officer
bullmoose2.jpg

Back