• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show us your outfit and kit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Some time back, Zonie started a thread where the forum members introduced themselves with photos. I've lost track of that thread now, but in it some were in their period outfits and others were in street clothes. Since then folks like Skagun (white man reading sign) and Mike Roberts (holding up the fort) have posted photos in their period gear. Well, here is a call for more. I get a lot of info and ideas from the pics you guys put on the forum and this is a good chance to do some of that long distance mentoring. I'd start the show, but the only period gear I have is new haversack which I hope to break in using as a game bag when quail season kicks up.

So - show us your outfit!

Oh, by the way -- DGeraths, since you are well known as a stickler for detail and a self-described "seasoned authentic", I'm particularly interested in your kit. Not so much the stuff you've put together in the last few months, but maybe something dredged up from the archives of your 25 years of experience. Got some good pics to share?

Well Robert,

To be honest with you, I really don't have any photos of myself in kit. I rarely carry a camera with me at 18th century events and I don't think I have ever taken a shot of myself. Like many people in this hobby, I have had plently of pictures taken of me by others, but you never seem to get a copy of it. :(

I got a few of myself from other reenacting that isn't 18th century related, but nothing from the time period you are looking for. If you want to see a pic anyway so you can print something out for your dartboard than let me know and I will post something.

:peace:

steppose.jpg

Very cool photo!

Why don't add to the photo posts a basic run down of what you are wearing and where you got it all? Self made?, catalog purchase?, etc...

For instance, I really like the red waistcoat, self made? If not, where did you get it?

The gunstock almost looks like it has some green to it? Is that true or just a trick of light in the photo?

How rude of me. I made all the belts,bags,horns, hat and the gun(the stock does look green in the photo but I don't think it looked green in person so to speak, heck, maybe it was. It now sports it's third finish which is like aqua fortis and the barrel and lock are back to "in the white"). I bought the shoes from Fugawee and the breeches, shirt and waistcoats(my favorite dark green waistcoat is under the red one because that was a bitter cold day:eek: and I had no other clothing for warmth) were bought at events from the various sutlers.My stockings are held up by leather garters but you can't see the garters. I want to make a sleeved waistcoat someday.My next goal is to get or make clothing and gear more appropriate for wearing in the woods for map making, sketching, scouting or some such make believe stuff as that.Right now I look like the total town person. Thanks for asking and I like to hear any and all criticisms or suggestions. I like to learn as I go. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: That waistcoat is fantastic. And I am certainly impressed with the gun and the shooting bag. I enjoy seeing the "townies" as much as the woodsmen, Jaegermeister. Thanks for the pic.

Your outfit really works well overall. It has a quality that it hard to accomplish well. It is hard to explain, the only way I can think of describing it is... it looks "real".

The colors work really well together and none of them, not even the red waistcoat look to bright. As a whole, everything has a rustic look without looking shabby or poorly made.

In the museum exhibit industry we use the term "genuine" when looking at replicated artifacts that pass as the real thing. That is a good way to describe your overall look... genuine.

Thank you, DGeraths. Would you think that this could carry me up to the Rev-War era with this length of waistcoat? I'm 42 and figure that an old guy would hang onto old styles. I'm goin' down that slippery slope of trying to have things that would fit the F&I and AWI/Longhunter era without needing two different kits.

Thank you, DGeraths. Would you think that this could carry me up to the Rev-War era with this length of waistcoat? I'm 42 and figure that an old guy would hang onto old styles. I'm goin' down that slippery slope of trying to have things that would fit the F&I and AWI/Longhunter era without needing two different kits.

Absolutely. Long waistcoats (or weskits) were being worn well into the revolutionary period. Unlike in today's world, fashion change moved at a much slower pace back then, especially in the Colonies. Washington himself wore long waistcoats well into the 1780's as did Franklin.

Although the shorter version of the weskit was being worn by the Rev War, it's domination of the fashion (at least for the common man) would not really be apparent until after the war.

Ok, here I am. The outfit comes mainly from Townsend, as I didn't have the time to make all that, except for my knife and belt. Over the winter, I'd like to try my hand at sewing. :hmm: The Bess was a Pedersoli kit I put together. The house dates to the 1760's.
0201725-R1-047-22.jpg

0201724-R1-004-0A.jpg

So - show us your outfit!

Mind you this was 25 years ago and yes, that is a skinned beaver on my head as a hat...

The gun is was made in 1838, it's an American made .69 caliber musket converted to percussion in 1849... (it's all I had at the time)

mygear.jpg

Jaegermeister,Your gun looks great.It looks like it handles good .I was under the impression that Jaeger rifles were clunky and heavy but seeing one in relation to a person changes the perception.Nice gun.Slow poke ,Our hunting out fit's are verry simeler.You have excelant taste in clothing.Mucket Man, Would it be possible to get some pic's of your gun ?

I'm the one shooting.
ronspictures031.jpg
Shirt cotton,pants made by me from 2 whitetails, Bag is Elk, rifle is a 1803 harpers ferry

Othern

Here is a photo of me (Back, far right) with a small contingent of my group, The Rangers of the Ohio Company, at the Battle of Bushy Run in western PA. You can also see other kits in the following photos. Some of these guys may be coming aboard the Forum. I made/sewed everything I'm wearing/have here except the Haversack, it was a shooting prize.
File0008.jpg
::
Me, kneeling, reading trail sign while my fellow Rangers watch for ambush. We're on a tactical event at Ft Loudon, PA along the Conocochequa River. The tam and westcoat I'm wearing here were purchases. The horn was a shooting prize and the leather canteen on my back was traded for. I made everything else.:winking:
DSC01046.jpg

Me, with the reward for my primitive skills and woodsmanship ability. This tam was also purchade from Stitchers Cabin in Ohio. The horn was a shooting prize. Everything else was made by me.:thumbsup:
PAFlintlockDoe2002.jpg

Me in my western kit, in my camp, at the 1st GNAR event. All here was made, sewn and beaded by me.:front:
File0003.jpg

Also part of your kit is your personal camp. here's my new one.:applause:
RollTrailTarp002.jpg

If there are any questions on anything you see you can post it but it may be better to PM me for an answer.

Thank you, 3 stinky dogs. You know what they say,"once you go jaeger you never go back". :hatsoff:

Don Getz and I at Fort Frederick Md. in the late 90's
dadygetz.jpg
[/img]
Me winning yet another smoothbore match somewhere in iowa.....
me4.jpg
[/img]
This is probably taken at Ft, De Chartre sometime in the 80's. I probably won that match too... :blah:
me2.jpg
[/img]
This is in north western Illinois deep in the woods in Oct. probably about 1993. Just getting ready to shoot a woods walk. I probably won that too! :winking:
me1.jpg
[/img]

OK, you asked for it Robert...
Me in my 42d Royal Highland duds... Regimental, shirt, and bonnet all hand/homemade. My Pedersoli musket bought via Loyalist Arms dealer Jim Brown (a member on here).
BTW, I'm giving the 'super finger' in this shot from Bay City Michigan this past Sept. If you don't know what the 'Super finger' is, check out comedian Dane Cook sometime.
David_thered.jpg

:redthumb:

Back