• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shout-Out to Horner75!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I wanted that perfect horn to go with my prized New England Flintlock rifle. The horn had to be a plain c1820 New England type. No frills, but well made and pleasing to the eye. I'd found a perfect horn, with excellent straw coloring and just a tad of "scratch engraving." However, the base-plug was too large, too fancy and held in with brass tacks:

Enter Horner75, Rick Froehlich. I contacted Rick and asked him if he could perform some major surgery in redoing the entire base of the horn and changing out the tacks. Not an easy thing with a nailed and glued-in base. Rick wasn't phased ("I might have to heat up the base a tad.."). He asked me what look I wanted so I sent him a photo of a 19th century horn, with the perfect base and attaching ring:

]Link[/url]

It may look like a simple domed base--and it might be--but not when it has to be made with something already glued, nailed & finished. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous.
I received my horn back from Rick last Friday, without fanfare (on his part). I was just floored. I couldn't believe the horn has very same base as in the first photos above. Now it has the perfect shape and is finished with a beautiful glow. Instead domed brass tacks holding it in, it now sports Honey Locust thorns, neatly installed, and beeswax. No glue, at all. Notice the brass swivel finial just like the original:

]Link[/url]

Thank you Rick, AMAZING job!!.

Smollett

There is no greater measure of an Artisan, than the outcome that you just experienced. To present an existing work, and a list of changes and improvements (some of which are so personal to you and your aesthetic, that they are difficult to communicate to another), and receive back an object that is everything you wished for, and more....

Your prized New England Flintlock rifle now has a treasure to enrich it even further, a beautiful horn made vibrant with a part of Rick Froelich's life.

Thank you, for sharing this. :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

Yep,
Rick is one of the few people that can interpret an idea into a physical object. And, the object actually looks like you wanted it to.

A few years ago I asked him to make me a small, pressed, day horn - came out beautiful.

Yep, I got a small pressed horn as well from Rick. Use it as my 4F priming horn. Goes with me whenever I shoot. Nice buck on one side and gobbler on the other. Tis my favorite. Thanks again Rick. You are a true artisan. :hatsoff:

Dave

Back