• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another new project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy folks, Two Feathers here:
I know my horn pics. are getting old, but here's one I just finished this horn this morning. I started on it back in January, but a few things came up and I got side tracked.
It's for a customer/member who is one of my best friends in the world. I couldn't figure out how to attach the strap and keep it in line without twisting. I tried twisted Silver wire, but it kept snapping off when I twisted it, so I ended up forging a split ring type of clip and strap staple. I think it looks pretty good. The strap is only 1/2" wide and I didn't use a buckle or any adjustment method. It hangs about perfect on me. I kept it as PC as I could. The spout plug and cap are Black Walnut. I tacked in the cap with solid Copper nails then wax sealed it where it meets the horn. It has my signature and logo on the strap and my signature Acorn finial with a threaded insert for easy filling. It has my Leather washer/gasket to seal the fill hole too. I know some of y'all don't like my Acorn finials, but they've been my method of filling for 40+ years. I'm 74 next week and I'll probably NOT change that now? :thumb:
The horn started out mostly White, but I used my "process" to make it Chocolate Brown, it's permanent.
I hope someone (besides the owner) likes it? I have to make another one by the end of August. Hopefully that one will come out the same?
Thank you for any feedback, positive or otherwise. Sorry for the picture quality. I'm not as good at it as a lot of the guys here are.
God bless:
Two Feathers
That's a good looking horn, I like the plug to fill it, you did a good job!!

That's a good looking horn, I like the plug to fill it, you did a good job!!
Hatman/2nd line:
Thank you. I've been doing the plugs this way since the 70's, but the threaded inserts are new as of 2018. I used to just thread the wooden caps, then strengthen the threads with super glue. The inserts are a lot more work and expense, but well worth the investment.
I'm glad you like it. The color is a new process I just started trying last year. it seems to work and folks like it.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Hatman/2nd line:
Thank you. I've been doing the plugs this way since the 70's, but the threaded inserts are new as of 2018. I used to just thread the wooden caps, then strengthen the threads with super glue. The inserts are a lot more work and expense, but well worth the investment.
I'm glad you like it. The color is a new process I just started trying last year. it seems to work and folks like it.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Back attcha!!

Larry:
I'm sorry, but short of coming to fill it for you, that's best I can do.:~))
Thanks for the feedback and compliment.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I made my horn years before there was Google or M.L. forums. I had no information on how to build one, only pictures in books. You do remember books?The way we use to learnded things in school,LOL!
I made a 3/4" hole in the back to fill it with powder. If I ever make another one it will have a filling hole in the back also. I like your horn mostly the hole in the back! LOL!

I made my horn years before there was Google or M.L. forums. I had no information on how to build one, only pictures in books. You do remember books?The way we use to learnded things in school,LOL!
I made a 3/4" hole in the back to fill it with powder. If I ever make another one it will have a filling hole in the back also. I like your horn mostly the hole in the back! LOL!
LME:
Thank ya.' buddy. I'm happy you like my idea. A lot of guys like the insert for easy filling, but a few scream because of the PC thing!!! Ya. know what I tell 'em? "the mountain men did whatever was easy and worked and if you keep your mouth shut and don't tell any on NO ONE will ever know fill it at home.:~))) You can show off the horn without bringing attention to the insert.
God bless;
Two Feathers

Happy Birthday, Dave! It’s June 13 as I write this. Nice horn. I like it. I'm sorry to see that you are going through these health issues. After all, you are just a young man at 74. I'm up on you by 2 years.

Happy Birthday, Dave! It’s June 13 as I write this. Nice horn. I like it. I'm sorry to see that you are going through these health issues. After all, you are just a young man at 74. I'm up on you by 2 years.
Hi Ron:
Long time. I hope all is well out in Golden?
Thank you for the B'day wishes. Yeah, you're up on me BUT, I'll go before you.:~)))
Thank you for your concerns as well.
I'm not progressing like I'm supposed to be, but I am moving forward.....at least for now.
Blessings:
Dave

The body color on that horn is just superb, love it.
HSmithTX:
Thank you much. I'm glad you like it. It took me awhile to perfect the coloring process. The horn started out like this.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 001.JPG
    New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 001.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 0
  • New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 002.JPG
    New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 002.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 0
  • New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 003.JPG
    New day hunt powder horn 01-31-2023 003.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 0
WOW, what a transformation. I have one at the house I am working on, looks a lot like your 'before' pictures. If mine comes out half as nicely colored as yours I'll be happy.

Attachments

• Sam's horn so far 001.JPG
    Sam's horn so far 001.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sam's horn so far 002.JPG
    Sam's horn so far 002.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Sam's horn so far 003.JPG
    Sam's horn so far 003.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 0
Two Feathers, as far as your pictures of your horns getting old.....
I like old things.
Keep it going.
Best to you.
Thanks Brother.
Gum Slough Muzzleloader:
Thank you my friend. I'm glad folks like what I do.
I like old things too, I married one.:~)))) Well...she is now, but she wasn't when we got hitched.:~))) We're the same age, she's just 5 months younger.
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Latest posts

Back