• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoulder Tension

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you HSmith. That's an excellent recommendation for a process to address target panic. I'll be incorporating your advice into my training regimen, along with the "wood flint" dry firing I do at home. I enjoy shooting my flintlocks, almost regardless of the results on targets but I have to admit...a controlled shot is a heck of a lot more gratifying than 3 decent shots in the black and 2 "crazy" shots 8-10 inches away.
When I put the rifle on a rest, take my time and take "ME" out of the equation ( as much a possible) I can still shoot those "one ragged hole" groups out to 50 yds which is satisfying and sufficient. Offhand....I'm all over the place.

I read a book on shooting by Jack OConnor a long time ago and he said for a right handed shot the left hand should control the rifle and pull it into the shoulder and the only thing the right hand should do is squeeze the trigger. This is the method I use.

When sighting in or shooting from a bench I generally let the shot surprise me. When shooting game I am able to get the shot off with a quick squeeze without disturbing the aim. Sometimes it seems to just happen without any real thought of how to do it. If that makes any sense,

Okay, with my equipment running better, I'm turning my attention to the goofball behind the gun. I've only been playing around with flintlocks for about a year so I'm still rather new. I dare not hunt big game with them yet since my accuracy is only so-so. In my recent test of ignition time, I took some video footage of me shooting about a dozen shots with my trade gun. Part of why I took that footage was to look more carefully at my form & my flinch. I was focused on the front sight. But in that moment between the time that the trigger breaks and before the ball exits the barrel, my shoulder tenses up ever so slightly. It's barely perceptible from the video and I can usually only see it by watching (frame by frame) my elbow raise just a tad between the time that I see smoke rising from the pan and the time that the flame is exiting the barrel. It's enough to throw the shot completely off target at 75 yards (10" gong). I start each shot with about medium tension in my shoulder -- firmly planted but not hard. Apparently, my subconscious knows that impact is coming and braces just a little more before the shot actually goes off.

So my question to the better shooters out there, what do you do with your shoulder before the shot? Do you start with nearly full tension? Completely relaxed & try to stay relaxed through the shot? Somewhere in the middle? What tricks or tips can you suggest to get the subconscious flinch out of the shot? In archery, I use a clicker to give my brain something else to focus on -- pulling through the shot. But, with a flintlock, the goal is to NOT move anything except the trigger finger. The mechanics are different but I'm sure there's some similar way to change the focus of my brain away from the coming impact after the trigger breaks.
I don't think about shoulder tension. I make sure the rifle is in the proper location on my shoulder and is comfortable. Try doing this; close your eyes and put the rifle up to your shoulder, look to see where it is in relation to the target. If it is low or high that is fine. If it is left or right, don't swivel your body to align the rifle with the target, move your feet left or right until your in alignment. Repeat this until you are sure the rifle is in the right orientation to the target. By swiveling your body you bring more muscles into play and create unnecessary tension. Once you have the proper alignment take 2 deep breaths and exhale take a 3rd breath and let it halfway out. Release the shot. Don't hold the rifle on target for more than 10 seconds, put it down and start the sequence over again. Most of all practice, practice, practice. Good luck and have fun.

My method...#1 always wear shooting glasses to lessen the "flint flinch" IMPORTANT TO PROTECT YOUR EYES!

MOST IMPORTANT...Imagine (BUILD YOUR PSYCHE) that your target is about to kill you, so your mental concentration and front sight picture will be to stop that shooter asap with a perfect lethal shot, meaning your mental is "adrenaline" which OVERCOMES ALL ELSE! You think of nothing but stopping your enemy between his eyes pronto! I PROMISE YOU, YOU WILL NEVER HEAR YOUR RIFLE/PISTOL/REVOLVER GO OFF if you learn this method!!!!

Never "squeeze" the trigger, that's bull sh__..it makes your concentration on the trigger...waiting for its unknown release!! It gives the enemy aiming to kill you, more chance for success...amazing how smooth, steady and quick your trigger finger can become "naturally" when hyper concentrated on quickly killing that enemy target and not your trigger finger!!!! In your mind say "o.k. you SOB ! Repeat that or similar for every shot.

Try it and post on this thread....live fire or dry fire...it works!

Don't ask me how, when and where I learned this method...you don't want to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Accept the fact that all the bad stuff comes out the muzzle....not the buttplate! Shooting is more a mind game than a physical game! The way to success is by shooting and learning how to call your shots! There is no super secret way to learn except by shooting and paying attention to detail!!

If you practice with a wood flint and a spot on the wall, try mounting your rifle with your eyes closed to see where your rifle is pointed after you open them.. You may need to adjust your foot position in relation to the target to avoid unneeded muscle tension rather than chasing the target with the muzzle. Try shooting with both eyes open if you don't. Gives you a better chance of seeing where your sights are on the target when the rifle fires. Try holding the position for at least one second before you relax your position. As noted above, 'good practice' makes you better.

You will not find many 2 legged stools or tables or chairs. There are proponents of various holds on rifles. The great thing is to make your body and the rifle part of a stable tripod. This holds true whether you are standing, kneeling, sitting, squatting, using a rest or off hand. Once you and the gun are in a stable tripod, learning proper trigger pull and dealing with sight drift are almost child's play.
Rarely does a sniper kill with a snap shot.

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions here, but flintlock shooting offhand has been a struggle for many. I think I cured mine today, yes this morning at the range.
I am shooting a Kibler SMR I just finished. It’s super accurate from the bench, but offhand at 25 yards, I was scattering the shots all over. Very frustrating!
Today I went to the range and as usual, my first shot missed about 6” to the right ! Now I’m getting ****** off at myself.
Next shot I gripped the gun tightly, lined up the sights under the bullseye, and lifted the gun up till the sights were just under the bull, and twitched the set trigger, and surprisingly, the ball went straight into the bull! I tried it a few more times, and the same thing happened. I was even able to hit a 6”x6” wood block at 50yards, offhand! Never did that before.
I have never been a proponent of the trigger pull being a surprise, that just seems like a bunch of nonsense to me, always has. I want to know exactly when the gun is going to fire, not a surprise!
I know some will disagree, and that’s fine, I think I have found a solution to my poor offhand flintlock shooting. More practice is needed.
IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg

Latest posts

Back