• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The old .45 Flinter did it again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it wonderful how we keep our loved ones alive with such small acts. They are right beside us nodding with approval or providing some sign that only we can understand when it happens. Great story and great hunt, cherish your friend as you continue to hunt with the flinter.
Regards,
Peter

It was a misty, cold drizzle of a afternoon. I had gotten off of work and ran to my hunting spot. Because of weather I primed with 3f out of my horn and slipped my cows knee into position. I had set only about an hour when this nice doe stepped into the cut corn field. She was only about 22 yards from the cedar tree I was pushed up into. I had gotten my camera turned on and focused without detection, UNTIL, I moved to quickly in getting my cows knee off. My easy 22 yard shot was now bounding away! I thumbed the hammer back pulled the set trigger and bleated at her. At approximately 63 yards she stopped , turned, and looked back in my direction. As the front blade settled the air erupted in the sweetest sound that only a flintlock can provide. My vission was filled with a flash of spark and smoke, as it cleared I could see her drop without taking a step. The round ball had passed through the center of the left shoulder and exited low at the forward point of her right shoulder. This was with my very first Flintlock I had ever acquired, a Southern Mountin Rifle made by my One of my Mentors Mr. Norm Blaker.
My big game load for this gun is 70 grains 3F powder, .440 roundball and .018 patch. Though I have only started flintlock hunting a few years ago, I have taken deer and hogs with this beautiful Rifle. Norm ventured home this spring but every hunt with this rifle reminds me of the time we shared and the many lessons i learned.
congrats to you.thats a nice size. plenty of meat. u and gun r getting it done

Congrats! Nicely told as well. I’d like to hear/see more of that fine rifle if and when you get the chance. A lot of folks here love a SMR.

Great story and a great rifle from a great guy. He also mentored one of my dear friends. I knew him from the primitive archery circle I'm part of. Used to see him every spring in Marshall.

Congrats on your venison

Great story and a great rifle from a great guy. He also mentored one of my dear friends. I knew him from the primitive archery circle I'm part of. Used to see him every spring in Marshall.

Congrats on your venison
Same here.. Longbows and Blackpowder

Congratulations on a dandy flintlock doe!

Great story, thanks for sharing. I didn't get out this year but I was right there with to you.

I especially liked you paying homage to your mentor, Norm. I figure anybody who spent much time in this game has their own "Norm". I know I do, a couple actually. It's nice to spend a little time in the woods with the memory of them every now and then, even if it's only for a few moments.

Last edited:
Back