• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The old .45 Flinter did it again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTT

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It was a misty, cold drizzle of a afternoon. I had gotten off of work and ran to my hunting spot. Because of weather I primed with 3f out of my horn and slipped my cows knee into position. I had set only about an hour when this nice doe stepped into the cut corn field. She was only about 22 yards from the cedar tree I was pushed up into. I had gotten my camera turned on and focused without detection, UNTIL, I moved to quickly in getting my cows knee off. My easy 22 yard shot was now bounding away! I thumbed the hammer back pulled the set trigger and bleated at her. At approximately 63 yards she stopped , turned, and looked back in my direction. As the front blade settled the air erupted in the sweetest sound that only a flintlock can provide. My vission was filled with a flash of spark and smoke, as it cleared I could see her drop without taking a step. The round ball had passed through the center of the left shoulder and exited low at the forward point of her right shoulder. This was with my very first Flintlock I had ever acquired, a Southern Mountin Rifle made by my One of my Mentors Mr. Norm Blaker.
My big game load for this gun is 70 grains 3F powder, .440 roundball and .018 patch. Though I have only started flintlock hunting a few years ago, I have taken deer and hogs with this beautiful Rifle. Norm ventured home this spring but every hunt with this rifle reminds me of the time we shared and the many lessons i learned.

Attachments

• received_2595616540590693.jpeg
    received_2595616540590693.jpeg
    816.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That's a beautiful doe and the story behind it inspires me. Sometimes things done go as planned but in your case your hunt was a success!
I am still awaiting my first deer with a flinter.
Hang in there... thow I have taken many big game animals with longbow and Caplocks, I shook so hard after my first Flintlockck harves I dropped 3 roundballs trying to reload it! LOL

That's a beautiful doe and the story behind it inspires me. Sometimes things done go as planned but in your case your hunt was a success!
I am still awaiting my first deer with a flinter.
Likewise. I'm in the woods right now, even if I'm unsuccessful I'm blessed to be up early enough on the weekends to see this:
1000008148.jpg

Congrats and good hunt. The only deer I have taken with an ml rifle was my .45 flinter. I believe you will find a charge of 65 gr. will do the job just as well and ruin less meat.
I've killed deer and hogs with 50 grains out of my cap lock .45 with no issues other than ball stayed in animal. I have just found the 70 gr. Works best for me for passthroughs, at all ranges I've shot so far.

Likewise. I'm in the woods right now, even if I'm unsuccessful I'm blessed to be up early enough on the weekends to see this:
View attachment 276831

An old but valid sailors' adage: "Red sky in morning, sailor take warning.
Red sky at night, sailors' delight."

Good thing that you're in a blind.

I can't wait to take my 45 flinter out into the PA woods after Christmas. I shot a 7 pointer with a 130 year-old unmentionable in rifle season. I have a doe tag that's burning a hole in my pocket.

An old but valid sailors' adage: "Red sky in morning, sailor take warning.
Red sky at night, sailors' delight."

Good thing that you're in a blind.
No rain today luckily! About 90 minutes into the sit my wife texted me that our HVAC wasn't working and she smelled burning though so I rushed home.

I'd rather it have rained 😭

Back